Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Free Antivirus and Spyware Removal Tool

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 shine1

shine1

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:36 PM

Posted 11 September 2009 - 05:14 PM

Hi
Can Anyone suggest me a Good Quality Free Antivirus and Spyware Removal Tool. I have Windows Vista 64 bit at home and it got infected last week. I had to reinstall the Operating System using my Recovery discs to fix this issue. Not only was it annoying to lose all the data but i had to spend several hours to get all the needed programs. Now I am worried if i get infected again I will have to do the whole thing all over again. There must be a good program to keep me safe. Please Help. I am also open to buying a new Antivirus and Spyware Removal program. However my first choice will be free program and second choice will be paid program. Please Help!!!

Thanks,
Shine1

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Guest_The weatherman_*

Guest_The weatherman_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 11 September 2009 - 05:30 PM

A read through this may be worth a look. :thumbsup:

#3 Papakid

Papakid

Guru at being a Newbie

• Malware Response Team
  • 6,555 posts
  •  

Posted 12 September 2009 - 10:00 AM

64-bit systems have less need of security software as they are much more secure from serious infections. Rootkits have been virtually eliminated. A reformat in you case was probably unnecessary--either the malware could be cleaned or you mistook a software incompatibility with being an infection--that happens a lot with 64-bit.

See the following thread:
http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/206774/trojanmalware-infection-vista-64-bit-ie7-moved/

Especially Post #7, which shows shows how to further secure a 64-bit system. Personally, I would stay away from Sypbot's TeaTimer--and actually all of Spybot itself. I would actually only use a 64-bit compatible antivirus (I like Avira's AntiVir, which is free) and MBAM--the rest I'll leave for you to chose. Whatever you decide, just make sure it is 64-bit compatible, which most antivirus software is now.

The fate of all mankind, I see

Is in the hands of fools

--King Crimson

#4 HowToRemoveSpyware

HowToRemoveSpyware

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:36 PM

Posted 13 September 2009 - 03:54 PM

I would agree with Papakid, I personally use Avast Anti-Virus and MalwareBytes ( I have had great success with MalwareBytes) , but I have not heard or seen anything bad about Avira's AntiVir...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users