Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

b.exe and c.exe found in task manager, can't access anything on pc

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 four2vero

four2vero

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:24 PM

Posted 11 September 2009 - 04:06 PM

Hello and thank you for taking the time to read this. Please forgive me as I do not know all the proper terminology or jargon, but I will try my best to explain what is going on with my computer. My problem began 2 days ago when I turned on my computer and I only had my wallpaper upon startup. There were no icons or toolbars. I cannot access any programs either. A message came on saying that explorer had encountered a problem and needed to close. I have tried all the fixes I could find online: trying to go back to a restore point through safe mode- I got to the part where you pick a restore point date and nothing happens. Regedit, booting through safe mode, safe mode back to when configurations were all working as well nothing happened either. A friend had me go through msconfig and he tried to diagnose the problem and said that explorer.exe was either damaged or missing. I can only access task manager and I found some suspicious processes: c,exe and b.exe and when I looked them up I found out that they are viruses/malware. I downloaded avira antivir system rescue and put it on a cd after reading about it. I tried restarting the laptop and booting into the cd but it will not do that either. I read that maybe I had to go into bios and change the boot priority but that didn't work either. I can't go online, access any programs, nothing... All I have is a wallpaper. I am terrified to lose all the pictures that I have on my computer and I have been without a job for more than a year. I do not have the money to buy a new computer or take it to anyone to get fixed. My husband uses a Mac and cannot help me in the least bit, so I am on my own desparetly searching for a fix that does not include wiping out my hard drive. I have no way of posting any logs as I cannot access anything. I appreciate all of your help in this matter. I need this computer to keep looking for work.

Just in case this info helps: it's an old Toshiba laptop running Windows XP.

Thank you and hope you all have a wonderful day.

Best wishes,

Veronica

Edited by four2vero, 11 September 2009 - 04:18 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 73,565 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:24 PM

Posted 11 September 2009 - 04:23 PM

Hello and welcome. I will not recognize the CD in the drive or you could not set it to boot from the CD drive?
maybe you can do this..
sfc /scannow
NOTE for Vista users..The command needs to be run from an elevated Command Prompt.
Click Start, type cmd into the Start/Search box,
right-click cmd.exe in the list above and select 'Run as Administrator'

You will need your XP CD handy.

Open Windows Task Manager....by pressing CTRL+SHIFT+ESC

Then click File.. then New Task(Run)

In the box that opens type sfc /scannow ......There is a space between c and /

Click OK
Let it run and insert the XP CD when asked.

Edited by boopme, 11 September 2009 - 09:43 PM.

How do I get help? Who is helping me?For the time will come when men will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear....Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#3 four2vero

four2vero
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 11 September 2009 - 04:34 PM

Hi Boopme. Thank you so much for responding so quickly. I just read what you advised and I think I am in more of a bind than I thought. I do not have a start/search box. All I have is my wallpaper and everything else is completely gone. Also, my computer never came with a Windows cd. It was just loaded in there when I bought it. All I have is three Toshiba cds, but I was told that if I used them they would wipe out the drive.
To answer your question. I put the the recovery cd into the drive and rebooted, but it makes a noise like it's about to start the program and then stops dead in it's tracks. Nothing comes up on the screen either. I am not sure if I am doing something wrong. I tried following all the directions online to the best of my knowledge, but perhaps I messed up somehow. I am not the most technologically inclined person...

Thank you once again for your help.

#4 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 73,565 posts
  •  

Posted 11 September 2009 - 07:26 PM

Maybe I can list a couple tries.

A )Right-click the desktop, Arrange Icons By, Show Desktop Icons

B ) Since you have a desktop without icons, first of all, do below

Open Task Manager (Ctrl + Alt + Del) and go to File >> New Task (Run...) >> type explorer.exe >> Enter

Then, do a search for your explorer.exe via your search function..

You may find the copy of explorer.exe via either of below locations..

C:\WINDOWS\ServicePackFiles\i386\explorer.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\dllcache\explorer.exe

Just choose either one of them and copy/paste it to C:\WINDOWS folder..

Edited by boopme, 11 September 2009 - 07:26 PM.

How do I get help? Who is helping me?For the time will come when men will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear....Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#5 four2vero

four2vero
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 11 September 2009 - 09:26 PM

Hello Boopme,

I have tried both things already. When I right click nothing happens. Also, when I search for explorer.exe, nothing comes up. It does not show up on the system. It seems to me that the virus is shutting explorer down and maybe making it invisible? It is blocking all my attempts to to get into the system, i.e., disc drive, task manager, etc.

Thanks again,
Veronica

#6 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 73,565 posts
  •  

Posted 11 September 2009 - 10:13 PM

Hi Veronica
It will not recognize the CD in the drive or you could not set it to boot from the CD drive?
This is XP ..and which service pack?

#7 four2vero

four2vero
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 16 September 2009 - 09:44 PM

Hi Boopme,

I apologize for not getting back to you sooner but I just found the XP cd today. I did exactly what you told me to do and typed in the cd /scannow. A popup came up and said that it was checking the windows files to make sure they were intact. I think the cd ran but when it was done. Nothing happened. I still had no icons. I restarted and once again it told me that explorer had to shut down. I tried running the avira system rescue again, but it didn't work either. I still have the b.exe and c.exe running in the processes.

Any insight on what to do next would be extremely appreciated.

Thank you,
Veronica

#8 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 73,565 posts
  •  

Posted 17 September 2009 - 09:50 AM

Ok,now do this...
Open Task Manager (Ctrl + Alt + Del) and go to File >> New Task (Run...) >> type explorer.exe >> Enter

Then, do a search for your explorer.exe via your search function..

You may find the copy of explorer.exe via either of below locations..

C:\WINDOWS\ServicePackFiles\i386\explorer.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\dllcache\explorer.exe

Just choose either one of them and copy/paste it to C:\WINDOWS folder..

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users