Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

100% CPU usage

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 mcnomis

mcnomis

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:07 PM

Posted 11 September 2009 - 04:04 PM

I am looking for help, in the last 1-2 weeks my computer CPU will spike to 100% several times a day leaving my computer unusable for about 5-7 minutes. After that the processor goes back to normal.

I am current on all MS updates. I am running AVG and did a full system scan. I installed SpyBot and it still happens.
I am running Vista Business, SP2.

Any help would be appreciated.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 xblindx

xblindx

• Banned
  • 1,923 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:07 AM

Posted 11 September 2009 - 05:07 PM

Can you see what program is using up all your CPU usage? When it spikes to 100%, open task manager and sort the processes by CPU usage.

#3 mcnomis

mcnomis
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 11 September 2009 - 05:28 PM

Sometimes it is iexplore.exe (when watching videos online), other times it is System, and other times it is System Idle Process.

#4 xblindx

xblindx

• Banned
  • 1,923 posts
  •  

Posted 12 September 2009 - 08:43 AM

System Idle Process you want to have 99% CPU usage as it means the systems isn't stressed. Internet Explorer can use quite a bit of CPU usage when watching videos, playing online games, etc. Could you do this for me please, open task manager (sorted so the highest CPU usage is at the top), then open Internet Explorer. Now check to see if Svchost.exe is using 99% of your CPU.

#5 mcnomis

mcnomis
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 14 September 2009 - 02:04 PM

I noticed a pattern where my cpu only spikes when browsing the internet, and further noticed it only happing on pages with Flash player such as videos/games. After searching I've discovered other users have this issue and it seems to be a recent update issue with Adobe and their flash player. I don't have it fixed yet but can consistently reproduce the problem by opening a web page with flash embedded.

I am thinking now that I am not infected. Thanks for you help anyways.

#6 xblindx

xblindx

• Banned
  • 1,923 posts
  •  

Posted 14 September 2009 - 05:58 PM

Happy to help :flowers: And its good that you found your solution :thumbsup:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users