Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Computer seems to have reformatted itself, after she tried rebooting it for running slow.

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 k1ngmob66

k1ngmob66

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:33 AM

Posted 11 September 2009 - 02:43 PM

I need help on understanding what happened here: My sister-in-law's computer was fine, it started to work slow so she decided to reboot it. The pc then asked if she wanted to reboot (well i think she must of misread the message: reboot or reformat) Oh well, now it is running ok except for all her files are gone, the icons don't do anything. She tried to shut it down and wait maybe thinking that it would somehow fix itself. Yeah well, so since yesterday is she trying to find out how to recover her files, and applications. Is it possible to lose everything with just shutting down and being asked to reboot??? Could it be a virus??? Any recommendations would be greatly appreciated. Thank you in advance! :thumbsup:

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,094 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:33 AM

Posted 11 September 2009 - 04:12 PM

System manufacturer and model?

Louis

#3 k1ngmob66

k1ngmob66
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 11 September 2009 - 08:18 PM

It is a compaq presario sr2030nx.

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,094 posts
  •  

Posted 11 September 2009 - 08:46 PM

It seems that version came with a recovery/restore partition...I would guess that your daughter probably needs to pay more attention to onscreen messages before responding to them.

I can't speculate on what occurred beyond that.

Louis

#5 k1ngmob66

k1ngmob66
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 11 September 2009 - 09:35 PM

Yeah, tell me about it. Question: Do you think it's a virus or something in the windows version?

#6 AustrAlien

AustrAlien

Inquisitor

• Members
  • 6,772 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:33 AM

Posted 12 September 2009 - 02:14 AM

all her files are gone

Have you searched for the missing files?

Use Windows Search if you know some of file/folder names (remember to enable search hidden/system files/folders).

OR ...
Navigate to
C:\Documents and Settings\
and look look in each of the user folders there.

To enable the viewing of Hidden files follow these steps:
http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/tutorials/...al62.html#winxp
AustrAlien
Google is my friend. Make Google your friend too.

Posted Image

#7 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,094 posts
  •  

Posted 12 September 2009 - 08:51 AM

Honestly, I don't think it's either of your speculations.

User error happens quite frequently, going by my own experiences.

Since I didn't see the screen which your daughter responded to...I can't say what went on.

Louis

#8 BNDAZ

BNDAZ

• Members
  • 286 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:33 AM

Posted 12 September 2009 - 03:06 PM

If the system got "restored" to its original factory settings, all my not be lost. there are several programs that can find and recover old files from hard disks, even after a format:
Start with this:
http://www.recuva.com/ (its very easy to use )and see what it finds.
You may have to run several instances to find different types of documents, once for pictures, once for music, once for documents ...you make the choice by just "ticking" a selection in the wizard.
Make sure you save the found files to a specific folder where they can then be sorted and re-added into the correct folder of the current install.
Just create a folder on the desktop called "recovered files" or some such and save everything there, you can move the ones you want to keep to where they are supposed to be and delete the others.

Edited by BNDAZ, 12 September 2009 - 03:24 PM.

#9 k1ngmob66

k1ngmob66
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 12 September 2009 - 06:45 PM

ok ill have her try doing a search. then look for that recuva program hopefully something happens. thanks alot everyone.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users