Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

laptop shutoff in the middle of partitioning new drive

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 jukey_23

jukey_23

• Members
  • 56 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:08 PM

Posted 11 September 2009 - 01:36 PM

Yeah, Silly me didn't even take into account that the battery was already low... I didn't have the power cord to hook it up, so it cut off on me in the middle of partitioning a brand new drive.

Am I screwed? Please say no.

As far as specifics, I had just put the drive in and was letting Windows XP do its partitioning thing. It was at about 15% when it shut down.

What do I do now? Have I destroyed the hard drive?

Also, I'd like to ask about the partitioning itself: I have an 80gb drive, Windows was going to partition like 79,000 mb...is this correct/good/recommended? This is my first time dealing with a brand new drive.

Lastly, I do not have the screws that held the drive in the caddy, so I used a piece of paper towel to wedge in between the caddy and drive so that the drive will connect to the connector...am I dumb? Will this mess up anything? All I can imagine is the paper towel catching on fire! lol

Please help guys/gals...I just bought this drive and need to see if I can return it if I have messed it up now:(

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 pclimer

pclimer

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 11 September 2009 - 03:48 PM

You should just try partitioning it again, it is probably just fine.

Letting windows partition the whole drive is just fine if your just using it to store stuff.

Also if I was you, I would try to find a better permanent solution. You wouldn't want the paper towel to give way and have your drive fall out :thumbsup:

#3 jukey_23

jukey_23
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 56 posts
  •  

Posted 12 September 2009 - 12:46 AM

Thanks! I've got it up and running now with no problems. The windows installation cd just told me what to do and it pretty much overwrote what I started before and just kept going.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users