Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Services

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 real deal

real deal

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:57 AM

Posted 11 September 2009 - 01:26 PM

I'm running XP x64 Pro, and the other day I tried running Bootvis well perhaps it's not compatible on x64. I was using compatibility mode, just in case. When my computer rebooted and everything was almost finished my system froze, even the clicking of my hard drive stopped all at once. I had to go in in safe mode to get the system to run without freezing up. I've rebooted several times, first using my last known good configuration with no avail. so I did a little time travel to the day before where I had conveniently done a complete backup of my system. I figured that things were gonna be fine. Like for sure it was gonna be. Oh No! My system has improved I can boot up now but all but a few of my services are disabled. If my services were running I think that I would be able to fix everything. I found in the registry where it says that several files are to never be backed-up so happens that the services are one of them. Why would this be? and what possible good could come from this? And does anyone have any suggestions as to what I should do? Another big problem is that I can not find my original operating system disk.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Green Hornet

Green Hornet

• Members
  • 21 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:57 AM

Posted 11 September 2009 - 02:54 PM

http://www.blackviper.com/WinXP/servicefg.htm

Print out for your
XP ProX64 (64 bit) for your particuilar service pack you presently have, for suggested service configurations
Start >Run>type in box > Services.msc > (Maximize) and click on item/s recommended. such as automatic - started - disabled that you want or need. Hope this helps. :thumbsup:

#3 real deal

real deal
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 13 September 2009 - 04:09 PM

Thank you for your assistance Green Hornet, From what I've learned @ Blackviper is that if your services are ever disabled you can never turn them back on. I'm not sure why, but I'm still investigating that though. It seems a little bit final for a software related problem. The idea that Microsoft as a default setting has chosen to have services not recoverable, seems ridicules. Like talk about a for sure hang-up if you have a problem.

#4 real deal

real deal
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 14 September 2009 - 12:35 AM

Green Hornet, I must update my last response, as I now have my services, and it is directly related to your guidance. After further checking out Black Viper's site I found a link to a microsoft download. Which is for your registry, bringing it back to the time I installed my system, which allowed me to start all of the other services. I'm up and running again. Thank you very much! Real Deal

#5 Uluru_2

Uluru_2

• Members
  • 39 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:57 PM

Posted 14 September 2009 - 01:37 AM

HI real deal,

From what I've learned @ Blackviper is that if your services are ever disabled you can never turn them back on.

I don't know where @ Black Viper's site you read that, please share as I can't imagine such being said, and would for all other reader's like to point out that this is totally incorrect .
Maybe you have missread something, or miss stated your experience.
We all love to share info and learn, if you could re-visit this thread, real deal and give a bit further info would be much appreciated. i.e. the statement @ Black Viper's where all services cannot be resumed, and the Registry fix which restored your services.

I tried running Bootvis

Note: Microsoft BootVis forces ProcessIdleTasks to run before it profiles your system, which is why people think BootVis optimizes your system's boot speed (BootVis itself does not optimize your system at all).

From MSDN:
"The file placement optimization, which is done no more often than once every three days, is an example of a task that is carried out when the system is deemed to be idle.
System Restore and other features of Windows XP also attempt to defer some work until the system is deemed to be idle. There are also some done-once-after-setup work items that also operate under the Idle Task Scheduling mechanisms.
All of these "idle tasks" are controllable by a system API in advapi32.dll: ProcessIdleTasks.
The API's sole purpose is to allow benchmarks a simple way to force any pending idle tasks to be executed immediately, without having to wait a lengthy period of time."

We all love to share info and learn, if you could re-visit this thread real deal and give a bit further info would be much appreciated. i.e. the statement @ Black Viper's where all services cannot be resumed, and the Registry fix which restored your services.

Glad to hear that you have fixed your problem ! :thumbsup:

runsonLinux.jpg
Been a Windows User for many years. I'm having a Linux holiday. Be secure, enjoy your time online. :thumbup2:

#6 real deal

real deal
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 29 September 2009 - 02:11 AM

Sorry for my ignorance. I apparently misunderstood something that I had read on BlackVipers site. Very informative site, and it was that site that gave me the valuable information that enabled me to get things running again. It was actually a pretty easy fix. I was sent by a link to Microsoft. I can only hope that anything that I had to say at the time never steers anyone else wrong. I was slow to responding to this point. Because I found my self battling it out with a Trojan horse named BHO.JEW. That I was foolish enough to invite into my system. It rendered my system incapable of fighting it. I'm running 2 operating systems both are XP x64 SP2 both on separate hard drives. With this I was able to go into my injured system and look through the files by date and found the actual places that it was stored in and removed it without that system running. I don't know if this was a good way to do this but it worked for me. I don't worry about damaging my system. It's a toy that I use to learn about computers with. If I don't experiment, and well break some things I'll never learn the real stuff. As so my logic goes. Thank you for putting the questions to me they help me learn as well.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users