Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Is it a virus or is the hard drive failing?

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 wj2

wj2

• Validating
  • 12 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:52 PM

Posted 11 September 2009 - 01:11 PM

Operating System: Windows XP Professional, Service Pack 3

The PC is 4 years old, so I've been wondering when the hard drive will die. For the past few days, the system opens multiple windows while on the Web and freezes from time to time.

I ran the following programs in Safe Mode:

Dr. Web - Cure It!
Malware Bytes
Super Antispyware
CC Cleaner

Nothing much found, just a few adware problems.

The machine boots up normally but after awhile the multiple windows open, programs randomly start up, and crashes happen all over again.

I ran HiJack This which shows Stopzilla as an entry and I cannot get rid of it by deleting it in the Program Files.

Should I post the HiJack This scan file and someone could take a look at it? Anything else I should try? All my files are backed up, so I could reinstall XP if necessary.

Thanks!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,721 posts
  •  

Posted 11 September 2009 - 01:42 PM

If you suspect that the hard drive is failing (it is part of your thread title)...have you bothered to run the appropriate hard drive diagnostic...to get a possible answer to that line of thought?

Louis

#3 wj2

wj2
  • Topic Starter

• Validating
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 11 September 2009 - 02:42 PM

I don't have enough experience to know to run a hard drive diagnostic - that's why I posted. Will try what you suggest.

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,721 posts
  •  

Posted 11 September 2009 - 04:10 PM

The various hard drive manufacturers will have them listed as downloads at each respective website...there are a couple which may not have such a utility.

Hard Drive Installation and Diagnostic Tools - http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/28744/hard-drive-installation-and-diagnostic-tools/

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users