-Cannot run antivirus scans from start menu ( I now found that I am able to run symantec antivirus from the Windows Explorer, File menu, local disk (c:/), scan with symantec antivirus without finding any problems. )
- Downloaded adware and malwarebytes, but cannot get these to run. When I run adaware, I get error "Failed to connect to service", and when I try to start the the aawservice I get "Windows cannot access the specified device, path, or file. You may not have the appropriate permissions to access them" When I first download malwarebytes, it runs for a few seconds and then ends. If I try to run malwarebytes from start menu, I get the same error that "Windows cannot access the specified ..." I have tried to remove and reinstall both these programs many times, but still get the same error.
- When I search on google, and click on a research search link, I am getting redirected to ads.
- I run windows updated, and it looks like I successfully downloaded the one fix: 2009 Malicious software removal tool. I turnoff the computer and restart for the fix to take place. However, when I restart it says that I still need to update and it downloads the same fix. This continues to happen - have I installed the fix?
- I was able to run antivirus a few days ago and it did find and fix several viruses: antivirus2008, antivirus2009, msa.exe, and Trojan Horse.
- I look through the Event Viewer Application log and see that trojan swifi and adawrare zangosearch had been previously found. However, when I scroll through the log, I get an error saying that the application log file is corrupt.
- I ran the d.exe program from symantec thinking that is was the "Downadup" virus - but this did not find any problems.
- I reboot in safe mode and try to run scans,but same problem.
- I reinstalled adaware and malwarebytes many times - still do not work.
- I tried to run dds.scr from bleepingcomputer, but I see a dos console flashing quickly by and cannot read the words and then nothing. There is no prompt to save any output.
- I ran the RootRepeal.exe and results are include in this message.
- Symantec scan of c:\ drive runs without any errors.
Can you help to fix these issues? Any help is appreciated.