Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Introduction and Rootkit Attack

• Please log in to reply
No replies to this topic

#1 Johnny9

Johnny9

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:03 PM

Posted 11 September 2009 - 11:57 AM

Hi gang,

New member here. I have visited this site many times and I am a regular user of Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware. Today I created a user account because I believe I have a rootkit attack and need some additional help.

First off, I am running Windows XP (SP3). This morning I began recieving spyware warnings as well as a new progrem (Total Security) running and offering to fix all my problems. I immediately closed that and launched Malwarebytes'. First I ran the Updates and then initiated a Scan. The scan ran for about 10 seconds before abruptly closing. When I tried to re-open Malwarebytes', I was told I did not have permission, etc. I have read several other posts in this forum that sound simular to my problem.

I have already downloaded a fresh copy of Malwarebytes'. The program will install fine, but once I try to run, I get the same as described above.

Three other symptoms:
1) I cannot open the the Task Mangar (CTRL-ALT-DEL).
2) PC performance has degraded so far now, that I can only run it in safe mode
3) I also noticed that I have Window Police Pro listed in my Programs, but this one seems to be taking a back seat to "Total Security".

I would appreciate any help you can provide and will provide anyother details that you need.

thanks

Johnny

Edit: Moved topic from XP to the more appropriate forum. ~ Animal

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users