Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Solution to speed up my vista

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 moxiac

moxiac

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:53 PM

Posted 11 September 2009 - 11:37 AM

I have bought Lenovo K200 which comes with a SIS motherboard, 1GB RAM, 160GB harddisk and the speed is 2.0GhZ(DOS). I installed WINDOWS VISTA ULTIMATE. I'm using AVIRA premium edition as the antivirus. When I have used the operating system for long.. say.. I have installed VISTA about 2 weeks ago, and have used ADOBE PHOTSHOP cs4 for a long time, then it takes a lot of time to reboot.

When such issues fire up, I format my PC and everything seems fine, but I've done that more than 3 times and I'm tired of reformatting it everytime such issues comes up. I have tried to install windows xp and windows 7 but the motherboard driver which comes along with it doesn't have sound when tried with XP and windows 7. I have installed realtek sound by downloading their software. That doesn't help either. Can you please help with me how to speed up my vista as I've to stick with this for sometime.

And FYI: I'm running out of the warranty for the computer now as it is kind of more than 1 year now..and as the system was a DOS when the item was purchased, LENOVO phone support can't help much. I'll be buying a new MOBO and replace it as soon as this system warranty(free support) is running out.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 trollocks

trollocks

• Members
  • 369 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:23 PM

Posted 11 September 2009 - 02:00 PM

1GB of RAM not really enough to run vista quickly

#3 moxiac

moxiac
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:53 PM

Posted 11 September 2009 - 03:29 PM

but the funny thing is it runs perfectly when I format and reinstalling it by deleting the partition. This must have something to do with something like the cache and cookies IMO

#4 Aus Smithy

Aus Smithy

• Members
  • 160 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:23 AM

Posted 17 September 2009 - 02:20 AM

Trollocks is right about 1GB RAM being too little to continue to get good performance.

Your PC seems to be degrading over time. Are you doing housekeeping i.e. running DISK CLEANUP, removing old System Restore sets and defragging regularly?

To clear old System Restore sets - Log in as Administrator, Open COMPUTER, Right click on C: Drive, Select PROPERTIES, Hit DISK CLEANUP and let it do its work. When the results come back Select the MORE OPTIONS tab at the top and then hit CLEAN UP under the System Restore and Shadow Copies heading. Then keep selecting Delete and OK until it has cleaned everything up. You should then Defragment your C: Drive.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users