Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

External hard drive RAW

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 dug11415

dug11415

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:43 AM

Posted 11 September 2009 - 11:08 AM

Hi everyone. I hope you can help me. I have an external hard drive (old computer hard drive in a purchased enclosure) attached to my Vista computer via USB. When I first hooked it up, and gave it 2 drive letters (partition), it seemed to work. There was a minor problem, sometimes the drive would seem to lock-up my computer, then I would have to wait for it. But I was able to use it as a backup drive. Now, suddenly, it doesn't work. I still see the drive letters in My Computer and in disk management. But when I try to do something, it says I can't access it because it is a RAW drive. I've tried to reformat it, and nothing. I've tried to convert it to NTFS, and nothing. I've even tried to convert through a command line, and I can't.

Is there anything I can do? I don't care about losing the data on the drive, I just want to use the drive, or know that I have to dump it.

Thanks.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,551 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:43 AM

Posted 11 September 2009 - 12:20 PM

If it's RAW and you don't care about the contents...I would simply delete all structures on it and then format it.

Both Disk Management and the XP CD routinely can access a RAW drive, IME.

But...the appearance of a RAW file system...is an indication that the hard drive has problems. I wouldn't bother formatting it before I ran the long/extended manufacturer's disk diagnostic on it.

Louis

#3 dug11415

dug11415
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:43 AM

Posted 11 September 2009 - 01:56 PM

If it's RAW and you don't care about the contents...I would simply delete all structures on it and then format it.

Both Disk Management and the XP CD routinely can access a RAW drive, IME.

But...the appearance of a RAW file system...is an indication that the hard drive has problems. I wouldn't bother formatting it before I ran the long/extended manufacturer's disk diagnostic on it.

Louis

I will give that a shot. Thank you.

#4 Sneakycyber

Sneakycyber

Network Engineer

• BC Advisor
  • 6,135 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:43 AM

Posted 18 September 2009 - 12:17 AM

Try accessing from Diskmgmt.msc (from the start menu type diskmgmt.msc in the run box). See if you can get the drive to re-initialize or try and reformat it.
Chad Mockensturm 
Network Engineer
Certified CompTia Network +, A +

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users