Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

annoying virus thing!!!!!!

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
7 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_SteinPooch_*

Guest_SteinPooch_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 11 September 2009 - 10:46 AM

Hi, I have a virus issue. My school's IBM ThinkPad laptop has an annoying virus, that makes that stupid "You May Be A Victim Of Software Counterfiting" thing appear. It's not pirated, as I know that the school used the same CD on every IBM in school. And none of the other IBMs are showing this notice. My friend says it might be FireEye virus, but I have not found any evidence of it. I can't use a web page, because the virus makes web-pages unusable. Is this a Windows XP Glitch, or a virus? It would be helpful if you nerd-dude could help me, as I am an aspiring geek-nerd-dude-person. Thanks!!!!!!

Edited by SteinPooch, 11 September 2009 - 10:48 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 xblindx

xblindx

• Banned
  • 1,923 posts
  •  

Posted 11 September 2009 - 05:12 PM

FireEye isnt a virus FireEye site

What happens when you try to use the internet?

Try this, download Malwarebytes Anti Malware to a USB stick, CD, etc, and transfer it over to the possibly infected machine.

Please download Malwarebytes Anti-Malware and save it to your flash drive, cd, etc.
  • Drag the mbam-setup.exe file to the possibly infected machine
  • Make sure you are connected to the internet.
  • Double-click on mbam-setup.exe to install the application.
  • When the installation begins, follow the prompts and do not make any changes to default settings.
  • When installation has finished, make sure you leave both of these checked:
    • Update Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware
    • Launch Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware
  • Then click Finish.
  • MBAM will automatically start and you will be asked to update the program before performing a scan. If an update is found, the program will automatically update itself. Press the OK button to close that box and continue. If you encounter any problems while downloading the updates, manually download them from here or here and just double-click on mbam-rules.exe to install.
  • On the Scanner tab:
    • Make sure the "Perform Quick Scan" option is selected.
    • Then click on the Scan button.
  • If asked to select the drives to scan, leave all the drives selected and click on the Start Scan button.
  • The scan will begin and "Scan in progress" will show at the top. It may take some time to complete so please be patient.
  • When the scan is finished, a message box will say "The scan completed successfully. Click 'Show Results' to display all objects found".
  • Click OK to close the message box and continue with the removal process.
  • Back at the main Scanner screen, click on the Show Results button to see a list of any malware that was found.
  • Make sure that everything is checked, and click Remove Selected.
  • When removal is completed, a log report will open in Notepad.
  • The log is automatically saved and can be viewed by clicking the Logs tab in MBAM.
  • Copy and paste the contents of that report in your next reply and exit MBAM.
Note: If MBAM encounters a file that is difficult to remove, you may be asked to reboot your computer so it can proceed with the disinfection process. Regardless if prompted to restart the computer or not, please do so immediately. Failure to reboot normally (not into safe mode) will prevent MBAM from removing all the malware. MBAM may make changes to your registry as part of its disinfection routine. If you're using other security programs that detect registry changes, they may alert you after scanning with MBAM. Please permit the program to allow the changes.
For a complete visual tutorial of MBAM, see http://thespykiller.co.uk/index.php/topic,5946.0.html

Please include the following in your reply:
MBAM log

Edited by xblindx, 11 September 2009 - 05:13 PM.

#3 Guest_SteinPooch_*

Guest_SteinPooch_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 14 September 2009 - 07:04 AM

Hi,
Thanks. I totally forgot about MalwareBytes. One problem. The IBM has an Admin password on it, and I don't know it. Is there a way to bypass this? The head IT guy at school won't give it to anybody, so I can't install crap. I don't think, anyway.

#4 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,395 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:06 PM

Posted 14 September 2009 - 08:06 AM

Have you contacted and advised the school's IT Department?

In most school environments, the IT Department implements specific policies and procedures for the use of computer equipment and related resources. These official procedures are designed and implemented to provide security and certain restrictions to protect the network. This allows all users to safely use school resources with minimum risk of malware infection, illegal software, and exposure to inappropriate Internet sites or other prohibited activity. If you have an issue, then you need to resolve it with the IT staff or school administrators. We will not assist anyone with attempts to bypass those policies or security measures.

Further, if the machine is infected, the IT staff generally has procedures in place to deal with malware infections to protect the network and school resources. Further, the malware you are dealing with may have already infected the network. If that's the case, the IT Department needs to be advised right away so they can take the appropriate measures.
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#5 Guest_SteinPooch_*

Guest_SteinPooch_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 14 September 2009 - 08:09 AM

Well, one..... I'm on the schools tech group. So, I'm suppoosed to be helping to deal with this stuff. Two, my teacher doesn't even WANT an admin password. What now?

#6 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,395 posts
  •  

Posted 14 September 2009 - 08:12 AM

Contact the IT Department or a school Administrator who can direct you to IT, not a teacher.

#7 Guest_SteinPooch_*

Guest_SteinPooch_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 15 September 2009 - 07:30 AM

One... this is a middle school... and two.... The IT Department is two nerds. Ya.

#8 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,395 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:06 PM

Posted 15 September 2009 - 07:44 AM

The type of school you attend and your feelings about the IT Department is not an valid argument for us to intercede in this matter. Again, we will not assist anyone with attempts to bypass school policies or security measures. You need to contact your school Administrators or the IT Deparment.

This thread is closed.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users