Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

HP Recovery (Vista 32 bit) from a Flash Drive?

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Shonee

Shonee

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:49 PM

Posted 11 September 2009 - 07:22 AM

I have Windows Vista Home Premium (32 bit) factory-installed on HP laptop, and my computer has recently been ravaged by a Zlob trojan.

I've tried everything from restoring the computer, Running AVG Pro, and Spyware Doctor (not in SM) to Registry Mechanic and Ccleaner in safe mode, but nothing has worked. I'm not very sure what is going on with my computer, but I think some important files have gotten deleted.

Now, my computer freezes, and while I've managed to fixed a few minor problems, the performance is nowhere near where it used to be.

I want to perform a complete (clean?) System Recovery. I want to know if it's possible to perform a recovery from a flash drive. If so, how can I go about doing that? Is it as simple as changing the boot order to USB drive? Or is all this just wishful thinking and I have to purchase discs?

Thank you,
~S

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 cod head

cod head

• Members
  • 162 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:49 PM

Posted 11 September 2009 - 07:44 AM

Hi Shonee,I think you can restore to factory settings by going to recovery manager.You should not need the flash drive option on a H.P.I did this a while ago so bear with me.Also you need to know that everything you have put on your computer will be deleted.You will have to reinstall anything that you have installed yourself and any files you have put on are history.Click on the windows circle widget button at the bottom of your screen.In the start search box type recovery manager.It will appear at the top of the white box above the start search box.Click on recovery manager.You will be asked to permit this process and obviously click allow.When you get to recovery manager you want to select to restore to factory settings.And when it has finished doing its job your computer should be like when you first got it out of the box.So you will have to reconnect to the net and install Anti Virus etc.

Your alternate option is to post a Hijack this log in the I think I have a virus forum.And the Bleeping Computer team will guide you through getting rid of your virus.Good Luck.

#3 Shonee

Shonee
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 11 September 2009 - 08:40 PM

Click on the windows circle widget button at the bottom of your screen.In the start search box type recovery manager.It will appear at the top of the white box above the start search box.Click on recovery manager.You will be asked to permit this process and obviously click allow.When you get to recovery manager you want to select to restore to factory settings.And when it has finished doing its job your computer should be like when you first got it out of the box.So you will have to reconnect to the net and install Anti Virus etc.

Thank you. I will try this and get back to you on the results.

#4 Shonee

Shonee
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 12 September 2009 - 09:17 PM

It worked!!!

I had already removed the trojan, and I really wanted to start my computer over, and you helped me do that. I made recovery discs this time, so I won't lose my mind next time something like this happens.

I can't thank you enough!

~Shonee

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users