Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Cannot update MBAM and AVG

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
14 replies to this topic

#1 InflictedOwned

InflictedOwned

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:45 PM

Posted 11 September 2009 - 06:38 AM

I cannot connect to Malwarebytes and AVG, as well as just about any other programs I'm trying to update. My CPU usage spikes, if that relates to my problem. I was told to try and update MBAM in safe mode with networking, but that didn't help. What else should I try?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 50,939 posts
  •  

Posted 11 September 2009 - 07:44 AM

Mbam-rules.exe is not updated daily. Another way to get the most current database definitions if you're having problems updating through the program's interface or have already manually downloaded the latest definitions (mbam-rules.exe) shown on this page, is to do the following: Install MBAM on a clean computer, launch the program and update through MBAM's interface. Copy the definitions (rules.ref) to a USB stick or CD and transfer that file to the infected machine. Copy rules.ref to the location indicated for your operating system. If you cannot see the folder, then you may have to Reconfigure Windows to show it.
  • XP: C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Malwarebytes\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware
  • Vista: C:\Documents and Settings\Users\All Users\Malwarebytes\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware
Malwarebytes Anti-Malware has been updated to v1.41 so while downloading it on the clean computer save the setup file to a usb drive as well and then install on the infected machine before copying rules.ref.
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#3 InflictedOwned

InflictedOwned
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 11 September 2009 - 07:33 PM

Are there any other solutions other than using another computer?

#4 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 50,939 posts
  •  

Posted 11 September 2009 - 09:10 PM

Not for updating. You can try downloading and scanning with some other programs.

Please download and scan with Dr.Web CureIt - alternate download link.
Follow these instructions for performing a scan in "safe mode".
If you cannot boot into safe mode or complete a scan, then try doing it in normal mode. Be aware, this scan could take a long time to complete.
-- Post the log in your next reply. If you can't find the log, try to write down what was detected/removed before exiting Dr.WebCureIt so you can provide that information.

Please download Norman Malware Cleaner and save to your desktop.
alternate download link
  • Be sure to print out the instructions provided on the same page.
  • Restart your computer in "Safe Mode".
  • Double-click on Norman_Malware_Cleaner.exe to start the program.
  • Read the End User License Agreement and click the Accept button to open the scanning window.
  • Click Start Scan to begin.
  • In some cases Norman Malware Cleaner may require that you restart the computer to completely remove an infection. If prompted, reboot and run the tool again to ensure that all infections are removed.
  • After the scan has finished, a log file with the date (i.e. NFix_2009-06-22_07-08-56.log) will be created on your desktop with the results.

#5 InflictedOwned

InflictedOwned
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 13 September 2009 - 01:16 PM

Whenever I try and scan with Dr. WebCureIt, the program will close. I've tried reinstalling it twice and it continues to do the same thing.

#6 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 50,939 posts
  •  

Posted 13 September 2009 - 01:22 PM

Did you try doing the scan in safe mode?

If that still doesn't work, then skip and continue with the Norman scan.

#7 InflictedOwned

InflictedOwned
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 13 September 2009 - 02:36 PM

Norman Malware Cleaner
Version 1.5.0.5
Copyright 1990 - 2009, Norman ASA. Built 2009/09/10 20:54:22

Norman Scanner Engine Version: 6.01.09
Nvcbin.def Version: 6.01.00, Date: 2009/09/10 20:54:22, Variants: 3743808

Scan started: 13/09/2009 14:33:06

Running pre-scan cleanup routine:
Operating System: Microsoft Windows Vista 6.0.6002(Safe mode with network) Service Pack 2
Logged on user: Kyle-PC\Kyle

Set registry value: HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Windows\AppInit_DLLS = -> ""

Scanning running processes and process memory...

Number of processes/threads found: 418
Number of processes/threads scanned: 418
Number of processes/threads not scanned: 0
Number of infected processes/threads terminated: 0
Total scanning time: 6s

Scanning file system...

Scanning: C:\*.*

C:\Program Files (x86)\Echoplex Drum Simulator\Echoplex Drum Sim.exe (Infected with W32/AutoRun.ACKY)
Deleted file

C:\Program Files (x86)\HP Games\Wheel of Fortune\Wheel of Fortune-WT.exe (Infected with W32/Obfuscated.BU!genr)
Deleted file

C:\Program Files (x86)\IObit\IObit SmartDefrag\language\Lietuviu.lng (Error opening file: Not found)

C:\Program Files (x86)\Online Services\MSN90\LaunchMsn.exe (Infected with W32/Obfuscated.S!genr)
Deleted file

C:\Windows\System32\LogFiles\WMI\RtBackup\EtwRTDiagLog.etl (Error opening file: Access denied)

Scanning: D:\*.*

Running post-scan cleanup routine:
Set TCP/IP autotuning to "normal" (or it was already "normal")

Number of files found: 234025
Number of archives unpacked: 0
Number of files scanned: 233882
Number of files not scanned: 143
Number of files skipped due to exclude list: 0
Number of infected files found: 3
Number of infected files repaired/deleted: 3
Number of infections removed: 3
Total scanning time: 60m 27s

#8 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 50,939 posts
  •  

Posted 13 September 2009 - 07:37 PM

Please perform an online scan with Kaspersky Online Virus Scanner.
(Requires free Java Runtime Environment (JRE) be installed before scanning for malware as ActiveX is no longer being used.)
  • Click on the Posted Image ...button.
  • The program will launch and fill in the Information section ... on the left.
  • Read the "Requirements and Limitations" then press... the Posted Image ...button.
  • The program will begin downloading the latest program and definition files.
    It takes a while... please be patient and let it finish.
  • Once the files have been downloaded, click on the Posted Image ...button.
    In the scan settings make sure the following are selected:
    • Detect malicious programs of the following categories:
      Viruses, Worms, Trojan Horses, Rootkits
      Spyware, Adware, Dialers and other potentially dangerous programs
    • Scan compound files (doesn't apply to the File scan area):
      Archives
      Mail databases
      By default the above items should already be checked.
    • Click the Posted Image ...button, if you made any changes.
  • Now under the Scan section on the left:Select My Computer
  • The program will start and scan your system. This will run for a while, be patient... let it run.
    Once the scan is complete, it will display if your system has been infected.
  • Save the scan results as a Text file ... save it to your desktop.
  • Copy and paste the saved scan results file in your next reply.

#9 InflictedOwned

InflictedOwned
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 14 September 2009 - 06:30 AM

Monday, September 14, 2009
Operating system: Microsoft Windows Vista Home Premium Edition, 64-bit Service Pack 2 (build 6002)
Kaspersky Online Scanner version: 7.0.26.13
Last database update: Monday, September 14, 2009 02:31:21
Records in database: 2802800
Scan settings
scan using the following database extended
Scan archives yes
Scan e-mail databases yes
Scan area My Computer
C:\
D:\
E:\
F:\
Scan statistics
Objects scanned 222535
Threats found 2
Infected objects found 6
Suspicious objects found 0
Scan duration 02:44:32

File name Threat Threats count
C:\Program Files\Online Services\Mercado\WizLink.exe Infected: Trojan.Win32.Agent.cwkw 1
C:\Program Files (x86)\Online Services\eBay\WizLink.exe Infected: Trojan.Win32.Agent.cwkw 1
C:\Program Files (x86)\Online Services\ESP\WizLink.exe Infected: Trojan.Win32.Agent.cwkw 1
C:\Program Files (x86)\Online Services\quickenfc\WizLink.exe Infected: Trojan.Win32.Agent.cwkw 1
C:\Users\Kyle\Downloads\RegistryEasy.exe Infected: Virus.Win32.Induc.a 2
Selected area has been scanned.

#10 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 50,939 posts
  •  

Posted 14 September 2009 - 08:50 AM

Get a second opinion on the detected files.

C:\Program Files\Online Services\Mercado\WizLink.exe <- this file
C:\Program Files (x86)\Online Services\eBay\WizLink.exe <- this file
C:\Program Files (x86)\Online Services\ESP\WizLink.exe <- this file
C:\Program Files (x86)\Online Services\quickenfc\WizLink.exe <- this file
C:\Users\Kyle\Downloads\RegistryEasy.exe <- this file

Go to Jotti's virusscan or VirusTotal. In the "File to upload & scan" box, browse to the location of the suspicious file(s) and submit (upload) it for scanning/analysis.

If confirmed as malicious, Malwarebytes Anti-Malware has a built-in FileAssassin feature for removing stubborn malware or other malicious files that it did not detect. You can use it to remove the threats detected by Kaspersky.
  • Go to the "More Tools" tab and click on the "Run Tool" button
  • Browse to the location of the file(s) to remove using the drop down box next to "Look in:" at the top.
  • When you find the file, click on it to highlight, then select Open.
  • You will be prompted with a message warning: This file will be permanently deleted. Are you sure you want to continue?. Click Yes.
  • If removal did not require a reboot, you will receive a message indicating the file was deleted successfully.
  • Click Ok and exit MBAM.
  • If prompted to reboot, then do so immediately.
-- If the file returns, then you probably have other malware on your system which is protecting or regenerating it.

Caution: Be careful what you delete. FileAssassin is a powerful program, designed to move highly persistent files. Using it incorrectly could lead to serious problems with your operating system.

#11 InflictedOwned

InflictedOwned
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 14 September 2009 - 05:06 PM

All 5 were detected as malware so I deleted them. I still cannot update anything from its interface, is that just no related to malware?

#12 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 50,939 posts
  •  

Posted 14 September 2009 - 08:21 PM

Some infections are difficult to remove completely because of their morphing characteristics which allows the malware to regenerate itself. Sometimes there is hidden piece of malware (i.e. rootkit) which has not been detected by your security tools that protects malicious files and registry keys so they cannot be permanently deleted. Disinfection will probably require the use of more powerful tools than we recommend in this forum. Before that can be done you will need you to create and post a DDS/HijackThis log for further investigation.

Please read the pinned topic titled "Preparation Guide For Use Before Posting A Hijackthis Log". If you cannot complete a step, then skip it and continue with the next. In Step 6 there are instructions for downloading and running DDS which will create a Pseudo HJT Report as part of its log.

When you have done that, post your log in the HijackThis Logs and Malware Removal forum, NOT here, for assistance by the HJT Team Experts. A member of the Team will walk you through, step by step, on how to clean your computer. If you post your log back in this thread, the response from the HJT Team will be delayed because your post will have to be moved. This means it will fall in line behind any others posted that same day.

Start a new topic, give it a relevant title and post your log along with a brief description of your problem, a summary of any anti-malware tools you have used and a summary of any steps that you have performed on your own. An expert will analyze your log and reply with instructions advising you what to fix. After doing this, we would appreciate if you post a link to your log back here so we know that your getting help from the HJT Team.

Please be patient. It may take a while to get a response because the HJT Team members are very busy working logs posted before yours. They are volunteers who will help you out as soon as possible. Once you have made your post and are waiting, please DO NOT "bump" your post or make another reply until it has been responded to by a member of the HJT Team. Generally the staff checks the forum for postings that have 0 replies as this makes it easier for them to identify those who have not been helped. If you post another response there will be 1 reply. A team member, looking for a new log to work may assume another HJT Team member is already assisting you and not open the thread to respond.

#13 InflictedOwned

InflictedOwned
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 14 September 2009 - 09:27 PM

I don't know where else I would post this, but dds.scr does not support my operating system.

#14 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 50,939 posts
  •  

Posted 15 September 2009 - 06:56 AM

If you cannot get DDS to work, please try this instead.

Please download RSIT by random/random and save it to your Desktop.
Note: You will need to run this tool while connected to the Internet so it can download HijackThis if it is not located on your system. If you get a warning from your firewall or other security programs regarding RSIT attempting to contact the Internet, please allow the connection.
  • Close all applications and windows so that you have nothing open and are at your Desktop.
  • Double-click on RSIT.exe to start the program.
  • If using Windows Vista, be sure to Run As Administrator.
  • Click Continue after reading the disclaimer screen.
  • Leave the drop down box set to default: "List/folders created or modified in the last 1 month (30 days).
  • When the scan is complete, a text file named log.txt will automatically open in Notepad.
  • Save the log file to your desktop and copy/paste the contents into a new topic in the HijackThis Logs and Malware Removal forum, NOT here.
Important: Be sure to mention that you tried to follow the Prep Guide but were unable to get DDS to run with your OS.

#15 Orange Blossom

Orange Blossom

OBleepin Investigator

• 36,804 posts
  •  

Posted 20 September 2009 - 11:05 PM

Hello,

Now that you have posted a log here: http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/258765/unknown-infection-cant-update-anything-from-interface/ you should NOT make further changes to your computer (install/uninstall programs, use special fix tools, delete files, edit the registry, etc) unless advised by a HJT Team member, nor should you ask for help elsewhere. Doing so can result in system changes which may not show in the log you already posted. Further, any modifications you make on your own may cause confusion for the helper assisting you and could complicate the malware removal process which would extend the time it takes to clean your computer.

From this point on the HJT Team should be the only members that you take advice from, until they have verified your log as clean.

Please be patient. It may take a while to get a response because the HJT Team members are EXTREMELY busy working logs posted before yours. They are volunteers who will help you out as soon as possible. Once you have made your post and are waiting, please DO NOT make another reply until it has been responded to by a member of the HJT Team. Generally the staff checks the forum for postings that have 0 replies as this makes it easier for them to identify those who have not been helped. If you post another response there will be 1 reply. A team member, looking for a new log to work may assume another HJT Team member is already assisting you and not open the thread to respond.

Please be patient. It may take several days, up to two weeks perhaps less, to get a response but your log will be reviewed and answered as soon as possible. I advise checking your topic once a day for responses as the e-mail notification system is unreliable.

To avoid confusion, I am closing this topic. Good luck with your log.

Orange Blossom :thumbsup:
Help us help you. If HelpBot replies, you MUST follow step 1 in its reply so we know you need help.

Orange Blossom

An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure

SpywareBlaster, WinPatrol Plus, ESET Smart Security, Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware, NoScript Firefox ext., Norton noscript

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users