Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

memory upgradation of P4 , 6125 model compaq PC

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 WTM

WTM

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:52 AM

Posted 11 September 2009 - 05:32 AM

hi, welcome to all of u, I am a new member.

Could u guide me to solve the following two troubles of my old compaq presario desktop PC.

1.)I just want to know whether the memory of my compaq presario 6125 desk top PC can be upgraded with available memory modules in market now.
The specs: Pentium 4, 1.7 GHz, 256 MB RAM, L1/L2 cache 256 KB(i am not sure), 40 GB HDD. OS is XP pro SP2.
it shows DDR type but I do not know the exact details of its memory as no where in the manual, or in the system it is mentioned. It was purchased in 2002 Oct.
just now I purchased a Transcend DDR 400 DIMM of 512 MB, will it be compatible , if so how many such modules should I use to make the memory to 1 GB.

2)my samsung CDRW drive is not sensing any media neither its drive letter is displayed in Mycomputer in XP Pro SP2.It's properties indicates "the device is working perfectly".
Could it be because of its lens has gone!If so can it be repaired or should I go for a DVD RW(IDE) drive as in market only DVD RW available and not CD RW drive.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Eric RBA

Eric RBA

• Members
  • 252 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:22 PM

Posted 11 September 2009 - 08:52 AM

I have three suggestions for you. They are:
  • Go to www.crucial.com and use their scanning tool to scan your PC. It will identify what type of RAM you have, what you need, and will take you to the proper page for purchasing.
  • Update the drivers, if possible, for your disk drive. If that doesn't work, fnd a replacement CD/DVD drive. Maybe you can borrow one to test your in your PC?
  • For future posts, you should find the proper forum within Bleeping Computer that fits the description of your problem. You may get the help you need posting in the "Introductions" forum eventually but it will take longer.
Best of luck to you, let us know how it goes.
I would never ask a person to do something that I wouldn't do myself.

#3 starcraftmaster

starcraftmaster

• Members
  • 1,109 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:22 AM

Posted 11 September 2009 - 10:30 AM

i would recommend to buy a new pc instead of upgrading it(unless your getting the parts for free)

any way if the motherboard can only have DDR memory and your putting DDR memory into it then it should be fine(as long its ddr then it should be all right as am sure that it is backward compatibly with speed)

to make 1 GB then buy two 512MB ram sticks
1 GB = 1024 MB

as for the cd rom drive
its probably dead
a quick test would be trying to boot from a CD(windows xp install cd)

#4 Eric RBA

Eric RBA

• Members
  • 252 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:22 PM

Posted 11 September 2009 - 10:43 AM

i would recommend to buy a new pc instead of upgrading it(unless your getting the parts for free)

I agree for the most part with you about just getting a new PC, but when you're looking at probably $50 tops for new RAM or spending several hundred dollars on a new PC you have to weigh those costs.
I would never ask a person to do something that I wouldn't do myself.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users