Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Everything but windows xp is gone and no internet!

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 my laptop hates me

my laptop hates me

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:51 PM

Posted 11 September 2009 - 05:02 AM

Hello. I am new to the forum and I have to start out by saying I am not great with computers, but I am willing to try:) I have a dell inspiron 6000 laptop with windows xp media edition. I think my lap top is about 4-5 ancient years old and has crashed about 3 times so far. This time, my computer was running fine and then at start up I got a message about windows having an error and unable to locate something or other and needing to insert windows product/installation cd. Before you yell at me, I already did it so It's too late now! I know, I shouldn't have done that since everyone I talk to says NOOO! right when I get to that part. Anyway I put the cd in the drive and followed the prompt, clicking "R" for repair and retarting the computer. Now, everything is gone except windows xp. All other programs I had, music, pics etc. gone. I have most of that stuff backed up and have all my program cds to reinstall. I learned from previous losses. Here is the problem now. The computer starts up and all I have is a blank backround (no desktop icons) with a media center icon, recylce bin and that's it. Now I am unable to connect to the internet. I usually have a small computer icon on the right hand corner, showing whether or not I am conected. I have a wireless connection and usually can "look up available networks" but I cannot find that option. Plus I keep getting a windows message prompting me to "activate" windows via the internet. I was told to press f2 at startup and try returning the computer to factory settings. I did this, saved and restarted to only see the same thing. Just windows xp and how much battery life I have left in the right corner. I am not sure what to do. I am not really worried about recovering old files or programs I can download those again (unless there is an easy way to do that). I just want to be able to get online again easily. Anybody know what to do? I would love some help. Thanks

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Blade

Blade

Strong in the Bleepforce

• Site Admin
  • 12,704 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:51 AM

Posted 11 September 2009 - 10:13 PM

You probably need to reinstall drivers for your hardware. If you ordered your computer from a manufacturer such as dell, toshiba, gateway, etc you should have been sent a CD with the drivers you need on them. note that you don't need to install all the drivers on that list, only the ones that match the hardware on your computer. If you bought your computer from somewhere like Walmart or Best Buy you can probably find the drivers by searching on the Web.

Post back and let us know if you need more help.

~Blade

Posted Image

If I am helping you, it has been 48 hours since your last post, and I have yet to reply to your topic, please send me a PM
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook
Follow us on Twitter!
Circle us on Google+

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users