Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

lost volume control

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 pathbear

pathbear

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:03 AM

Posted 23 July 2005 - 08:26 PM

I lost my volume control. help says the control is not on my computer and needs to be downloaded, I do not have a windows 98 cd and help says I can find a down load at Microsoft.com. I searched till I am dizzy. can someone find a free download online that I can use ? thank you pathbear :thumbsup:

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 River_Rat

River_Rat

• Members
  • 773 posts
  •  

Posted 23 July 2005 - 09:59 PM

When you say volume control.
Do you mean you do not have any sound?
or
Is you volume icon missing from your task bar.

Supply as much information as posible.

Thanks

#3 TheFugitive

TheFugitive

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  

Posted 23 July 2005 - 11:47 PM

Look under Start/Programs/Accessories/Entertainment for the basic Windows CD Player. You should be able to restore the volume control from the View menu.

#4 pathbear

pathbear
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 24 July 2005 - 05:09 AM

Hello River Rat. when I try to access volume control it says This program is not installed on your computer it also says tiat I can get a download at Microsoft.com , I have searched and searched but cant't find one. I do not have a windows disc, this was a used computer so I dont have one. can you help me find a place where I can download the volume control ? thank you. pathbear

Mod Edit: Cleaned up this post, by closing the BB Code tags.

Edited by Scarlett, 30 July 2005 - 09:23 PM.

#5 Leurgy

Leurgy

Voted most likely

• Members
  • 3,831 posts
  •  

Posted 24 July 2005 - 05:49 AM

Open Windows Explorer and look for the .cab files, or do a search for *.cab. Run the Add New Hardware Wizard and find your sound stuff and when it asks for a location browse to the folder you just found.

If that doesn't work I'm sure we'll hear from you again and if it does we'd better. :thumbsup:

When the only tool you own is a hammer, every problem begins to resemble a nail. Abraham Maslo

**** We use our powers for good, not evil ****

Trying to remove your data from the web is like trying to remove pee from a swimming pool

#6 pathbear

pathbear
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 24 July 2005 - 02:40 PM

I can find the new hardware wizard, but can't find sound info for use. Like I said, I do not have a Windows 98 disc, this was a used computer. Is there any place online to download such , or help finding what choice to make with the wizard , thank you . path

#7 Leurgy

Leurgy

Voted most likely

• Members
  • 3,831 posts
  •  

Posted 24 July 2005 - 02:56 PM

Download and run EVEREST Home Edition v2.01. When it opens let us know what it says under motherboard/motherboard name, motherboard/chipset and PCI PnP audio. What we are trying to do is identify your sound card/chipset.

When the only tool you own is a hammer, every problem begins to resemble a nail. Abraham Maslo

Trying to remove your data from the web is like trying to remove pee from a swimming pool

#8 achyut

achyut

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 30 July 2005 - 08:39 PM

I have exactly the same problem. The volume control was there but has dissappeared and i can't find it anymore

#9 River_Rat

River_Rat

• Members
  • 773 posts
  •  

Posted 30 July 2005 - 09:46 PM

This problem seems to be happening to several computers.

Does the sound still work?
Has anyone checked the Device Manager to see if the is any yellow :thumbsup: listed?

Supply as much info as possible.
Help us help you!!!

#10 achyut

achyut

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 31 July 2005 - 07:52 AM

Hi Bud,
I meant that my volume control icon is missing from the task bar.
When I went to Control panel->Sounds & Audio devices, it says that my volume control programme is not there!
I am using windows xp home edition. Thanks for taking the time to respond

#11 achyut

achyut

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 31 July 2005 - 07:54 AM

Bud,
I still have sound. Its just that the volume control guy has headed for the hills!
Where do I find the device manager?

#12 Leurgy

Leurgy

Voted most likely

• Members
  • 3,831 posts
  •  

Posted 31 July 2005 - 09:58 AM

Hello achyut

Depending on your operating system you go to Start>Control Panel>Multimedia. Go through the tabs and look for a box you can check that says Show icon on the task bar or something similar.

#13 River_Rat

River_Rat

• Members
  • 773 posts
  •  

Posted 31 July 2005 - 02:42 PM

achyut
To enter the Device Manager:
Right Click My Computer>Properties>Hardware Tab>Device Manager

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
Go to Start/Control Panel/Sounds and Audio Devices. On the Volume Tab under Device Volume, put a check in the box that reads: Place volume icon in the taskbar.

If that has been tried:

Place your XP CD in then go to Start/Run and type in: (don't forget the spaces)
EXPAND -R X:\I386\powrprof.dl_ C:\Windows\System32

Note: Where X is type your CD Drive Letter, Where C: is, this is assuming your Windows partition.

Once done: Go to Start/Run and type in: regsvr32 stobject.dll (again don't forget the space)

Lastly, run this edit: Restore Volume and Net Icon in the Notification Area

Edited by River_Rat, 31 July 2005 - 02:45 PM.

#14 achyut

achyut

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 31 July 2005 - 08:37 PM

Hi Leurgy,
I have already been thorugh what you have suggested. It says that the volume control program is not installed and that I have to install it. I have found out that it is a program called sndvol32.exe. I have tried locating it but haven't been able to. There are several files called sndvol32 but they don't have an extension .exe. One has .ex_ and so on. But no .exe

#15 River_Rat

River_Rat

• Members
  • 773 posts
  •  

Posted 01 August 2005 - 08:14 AM

Note: Disregard my fix it is for Windows XP, I forgot which forum I was on.

I guess you can't edit your own post after someone has posted.

Go to Start>Control Panel>Multimedia, Make sure your sound card is displayed in the Preferred Device dropdown Window.

Edited by River_Rat, 01 August 2005 - 08:35 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users