Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Help Upgrading Computer Case

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Andy.B

Andy.B

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:29 PM

Posted 11 September 2009 - 02:50 AM

Hello all!

I purchased an Acer Aspire X3200 (click here for spec) and noticed that it tends to get quite hot (around 50 degrees in some parts). I can only imagine this is because of the the size of the case, how all the parts are crammed in there together, it's bound to get hot!

I would like to purchase a new case, but how do I know which one to go for? I don't understand how to find one to suite my PC, for example it has 5 USB slots on the front. Does this mean I must find a case with 5 USB slots on the front? Please help me to find a case, and give me guidance as to what to look for!

Any help would be appreciated,

Andy

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dpunisher

dpunisher

• BC Advisor
  • 2,234 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:29 AM

Posted 11 September 2009 - 10:02 AM

Looking at that system, it looks like a low profile micro ATX setup. There doesn't seem to be a separate backplane either, it is integral with the case. The power supply is either proprietary, or some 1U variant.

I don't think you will find a case that will fit that motherboard correctly. The motherboard will likely mount in another case, but it won't have the backplane to fit around all of the outputs, you will have to get another power supply as well. If you can live with that, then most any ATX/micro ATX case will work.

No idea what a good case is nowadays. I still use a 20lb Enermax full tower I bought 6 years ago. I know someone will chime in with some ideas.

I am a retired Ford tech. Next to Fords, any computer is a piece of cake. (The cake, its not a lie)

3770K @4.5, Corsair H100, GTX780, 16gig Samsung, Obsidian 700 (yes there is a 700)

#3 Vaerli

Vaerli

• Members
  • 582 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:29 AM

Posted 11 September 2009 - 02:46 PM

50 degrees celsius is nothing.

Seriously, my laptop runs at 70-80 degrees celsius normally, and my desktop runs it's processor idle at ~65 C, and the processor easily hits 50 C running idle. Its fairly normal.

Now I don't understand why you want to change the case in the first place.

Q6600, 4GB g-skill, 8800GT, P5N-D motherboard
Posted Image
My art

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users