Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Yet another Windows Police PRO issue.

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 Austere Robespierre

Austere Robespierre

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:01 PM

Posted 11 September 2009 - 01:53 AM

Howdy to all.
The other day I logged onto my computer, and, to my surprise, was greeted by the lovely visage of the fake antivirus popups from Windows Police PRO. I located the folder named "Windows Police PRO" in the program files of the computer and ran CCleaner as a precaution to fix up any outstanding registry issues. The popups were vanquished, but, unfortunately, some deeper digging has turned up the fact that some malicious vestiges of the program remain. Any attempt to run a scanning program--be it Malwarebytes, Spybot S&D, or even RootRepeal--yields a few seconds of scanning followed by an abrupt shutdown of the application. What's more, whenever I try to restart any of those programs, I get only the "Windows cannot access the specified device, path, or file. You may not have the appropriate permissions to access the item" error. Reinstallation brings the same results. System Restore seems unresponsive as well (when I click "Next" to confirm the restore point, nothing happens, no matter how long I let it sit), and Google searches are still redirected. I managed to rid myself of System Security a while back, but this one seems a tougher cookie to crack. Any help is much appreciated.

AR

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 sleepwalker

sleepwalker

• Members
  • 144 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:01 PM

Posted 11 September 2009 - 02:18 AM

Welcome to BC sounds like you should post your problem here http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/forum103.html good luck cheers

Edited by sleepwalker, 11 September 2009 - 02:19 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users