Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Router can be connected wirelessly but not wired? Now I can't connect at all

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Morgisakim

Morgisakim

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:25 PM

Posted 10 September 2009 - 11:44 PM

Hello, :flowers:

I recently moved into a new home and when I first moved in I was using a Netgear wireless network card (Netgear 108 Mbps Wireless PCI Adapter WG311T). But the connection was very low on the owner's router (I moved in with a friend and he is directly connected to the router). The router is a Linksys ( I'm not sure of the specs).

The connection was unstable and would disconnect from programs using the internet at random. I decided to try using it wired. I recently acquired an ethernet cord, and connected it to the router and my computer. My computer said it was connected, but whenever I would try to use a web browser, it couldn't find the server. I couldn't connect to the internet at all, however it would connect with the wireless network card.

So I decided to install my old router and disconnect their router (with their permission of course). The router is a Netgear WGT614 v7. In my old house, this is how I was connected to the internet. I was wired into the Netgear router which was connected to the modem, and it worked fine. Others in the house could connect to it as well.

Again, the connection worked wirelessly but not wired.

So I read on some forums that resetting the router to factory defaults would fix it. I held the reset button for 30 seconds, and it reset. When I came back to my computer, the NETGEAR network was completely gone. The only network showing up was the neighbors "linksys" network. It wouldn't show up on my friend's laptop either.

I really don't know how to fix this problem :thumbsup: could someone please help me?

-Josh

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 CaveDweller2

CaveDweller2

• Members
  • 2,629 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:25 PM

Posted 11 September 2009 - 05:50 AM

When you put the Netgear router in the mix, could you connect wired? I know you said it wouldn't show up wireless but what about wired.

In Control Panel, double click Network Connections -> Right click Local Area Connection -> Click Properties -> in the list of things Double click Internet Protocol(TCP/IP. Make sure both Obtain...automatically has the little dot -> click OK twice. If you had to put the little dot there on both reboot your PC and see if you can connect.

Which router you have hooked up?

If you didn't have to put the dots, click Start -> click Run -> type CMD and hit enter -> in the box that pops up type ipconfig /all and hit enter. Post all that pops up in your reply please.

For connectivity issues and troubleshooting, I always recommend you take down or turn off any firewalls or security you have for wireless connections. They just add to the issues.

Hope this helps thumbup.gif

Associate in Applied Science - Network Systems Management - Trident Technical College

#3 Morgisakim

Morgisakim
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 11 September 2009 - 06:23 AM

No, I couldn't connect to it wired either. Right now, the Netgear router is hooked up. But the NETGEAR network is not showing up :thumbsup: I think I'm connected to someone elses router right now.

In ipconfig:

Windows IP Configuration

Host Name: joshscomputer
Primary DNS Suffix:
Node Type: Unknown
IP Routing enabled:No
WINS Proxy Enabled:No

Ethernet Adapter Wireless Network Connection:

Connection-Specific DNS Suffix.:
Description: Netgear 108 Mbps Wireless PCI Adapter WG311T
Physical Address: 00-18-4D-6E-55-78
Dhcp Enabled: Yes
IP Address:192.168.1.3
Subnet Mask: 255.255.255.0
Default Gateway:192.168.1.1
DHCP Server:192.168.1.1
DNS Severs:192.168.1.1
Lease Obtained: Friday, September 11th, 2009 1:49:08 AM
Lease Expires:Saturday, September 12th, 2009 1:49:08 AM

Remember when I said I reset the Netgear router to factory defaults? I think that deleted the NETGEAR network :flowers:

Edit: Okay now the NETGEAR network is showing up, I left it alone overnight and now it's showing up.

Edit: I Selected in the TCP/IP Settings obtain automatically, now in the Local Area Connection it says limited or no connectivity, but I can connect to NETGEAR wirelessly now.

Edited by Morgisakim, 11 September 2009 - 06:52 AM.

#4 CaveDweller2

CaveDweller2

• Members
  • 2,629 posts
  •  

Posted 11 September 2009 - 07:23 AM

OK that ipconfig /all only shows a wireless connection. Where is the Local Area Connection? With or without a cable plugged in it should show up.

Can you run the command again and post it all?

Associate in Applied Science - Network Systems Management - Trident Technical College

#5 Morgisakim

Morgisakim
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 12 September 2009 - 03:09 PM

Sure,

With the ethernet hooked up into the router ipconfig/all displays:

host name: joshcomputer
Primary DNS Suffix:
Node Type: Unknown
WINS Proxy Enabled: No

Ethernet Adapter Local Area connection 2:
Description: Broadcom 440x 10/100 Integrated Controller

Physical Address: 00-18-8B-59-AC-42
Dchp Enabled: Yes
Autoconfiguration Enabled: Yes
Autoconfiguration IP address: 169.254.198.37
Subnet Mask: 255.255.0.0
Default Gateway: 169.254.198.37

#6 CaveDweller2

CaveDweller2

• Members
  • 2,629 posts
  •  

Posted 12 September 2009 - 03:40 PM

That 169.x.x.x means the wired connection is not getting an IP address from the router.

First thing to try is from a command prompt type ipconfig /release when the prompt shows back up type ipconfig /renew then type ipconfig /all and look for your local area connection and the IP address, it should look like the Wireless connection you posted.

If you get error(s) when you try that, switch the cable around from the router to the computer and try the above again. If that doesn't work move to a different port on the router and try the above again. If that doesn't work, its uninstall and reinstall drivers time. The manufacture of the laptop should have them.

#7 Morgisakim

Morgisakim
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 12 September 2009 - 04:46 PM

okay, i've run into another problem

When i was going to uninstall my ethernet drivers, i uninstalled the Broadcom 440x integrated controller in my add/remove programs, it then said fatal error during installation

I rebooted my computer and went into system/hardware/device manager, and the broadcom controller was under other devices, with a yellow question mark next to it.

I then went to my computer manufacturer's website, and got the drivers. When i installed them it said modify, repair, or remove broadcom 440x integrated controller. When i hit next, it said remove. I clicked remove, and it said the setup was interrupted. This happened like 5 times, so I went into my program files and deleted the broadcom folder manually. The broadcom 440x integrated controller is still in my add/remove programs, and the setup still says modify, repair, or remove broadcom 440x integrated controller. I don't know what to do now.

#8 CaveDweller2

CaveDweller2

• Members
  • 2,629 posts
  •  

Posted 13 September 2009 - 04:49 AM

Can you link me the drivers you downloaded? Just in case what I type below doesn't match what you have.

Normally drivers come in 3 flavors: 1) An exceptionable 2) zip file with a setup 3) zip file without a setup.

1) You double click the file, it expands and then runs a "setup" type file.

2) You double click the file, you unzip the file and you run the "setup" type file.

3) You double click the file, you unzip the file and inside are folders with different OS as names. You go to device manager, right click the device you want to install drivers and point it to the correct folder for your OS.

Now the cool thing is normally for all of these its set up like 3. Meaning even if setup runs automatically or you run it, there is a folder with your OS and the file you need inside.

So my advice is no matter which of these you've types of files you have, figure out where the file extracted to, right click on the device in Device manager and point it to the correct folder for your OS.

As far as not being able to uninstall, I am not sure what to tell you. But if you deleted the folder it might not uninstall correctly now. What happens if you click on repair or modify?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users