Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Computer refusing to connect to network

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 N!Jr

N!Jr

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:17 AM

Posted 10 September 2009 - 11:29 PM

Hey guys, I have a wireless problem. My computer says that the connection to the AP is excellent but sometimes, there seems to be no connection to the AP at all. I've confirmed this by running a ping check to my AP and it has 100% packet loss when the problem comes up. It just doesn't make any sense as when I run IPCONFIG, I believe I'm connected to the AP as it responded with my router's IP address, etc.

Now, it seems that I can get connection when my wireless isn't secured and I would have limited connectivity when I turn my secured wireless on.

What seems to be the matter as I didn't have the problem when I was using my old laptop. I'm using a wireless G USB adapter from linksys and I got my wireless modem is 2Wire.

My sister's computer is not experiencing any of the above problems. Please advice.

Thanks in advanced.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 CaveDweller2

CaveDweller2

• Members
  • 2,629 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:17 PM

Posted 11 September 2009 - 06:07 AM

You answered your own question as to what the issue is.

The router is yelling "HELLO?" and your wireless card is yelling back "I HEAR YOU!" that is your signal strength. When you open a browser your PC yells "HEY, I WANNA GO SOME WHERE!" and the router answers back "OK" and the information is let through the router in both directions, that is your connectivity.

In your case when you have security turned on, your router is answering back "YOU CAN'T GO OUT WEARING THAT" and you have no connectivity. Meaning you aren't wearing the correct security.

So there is an issue with the security between your router and your PC. That is what you have to check. Since your sister has no issues then I'd say its on your PC.

And just for a little FYI, the ipconfig command just returns the info stored on your PC not the AP.

Hope this helps thumbup.gif

Associate in Applied Science - Network Systems Management - Trident Technical College

#3 N!Jr

N!Jr
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:17 AM

Posted 11 September 2009 - 10:15 AM

Alright as for the security issue, I have solved the problem. It seems that my computer can connect when I'm using WPA2-PSK, was using WPA-PSK previously ... strange.

So as to why sometimes I'm connected to the network with signal:excellent but no data is passing through (as in 100% packet loss), what's is the problem? Is it because my wireless adapter sucks or I may have some network interference?

#4 CaveDweller2

CaveDweller2

• Members
  • 2,629 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:17 PM

Posted 11 September 2009 - 01:46 PM

Are you still experiencing that with the security fixed? It would be security of some kind that would prevent you and others from connecting to the net.

Hope this helps thumbup.gif

Associate in Applied Science - Network Systems Management - Trident Technical College

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users