Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Total Security infection

• Please log in to reply
No replies to this topic

#1 csegall

csegall

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:07 PM

Posted 10 September 2009 - 11:27 PM

This afternoon my computer became infected with Total Security, and I've been attempting to follow the removal instructions posted on this site. I've used Process Explorer to terminate the program when my computer starts up, but when I try to run Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware program, it only scans for 2-3 seconds, then closes. If I try to open the anti-malware program again, I get an error message: "Windows cannot access the specified device, path, or file. You may not have the appropriate permissions to access the item." I've used Inherit to restore my access to the program, but the same thing happens every time: it closes after 2-3 seconds.

The same thing happens when I try to run DDS. The command prompt window briefly appears with the introductory information (identical to Figure 5 in the "Preparation Guide For Use Before Using HijackThis"), but then closes immediately. The program never scans the computer or creates Notepad files.

The same thing happens when I try to run RootRepeal. After the scan starts, it runs for about 5-10 minutes, and then the program quits. If I try to open the program a second time, I get the same error message as with Malwarebytes ("Windows cannot access the specified device...").

Consequently, I have no logs to post with this message!

Any help would be very much appreciated.

Edit: Moved topic from HijackThis Logs and Virus/Trojan/Spyware/Malware Removal to the more appropriate forum, to help get the process started since you are unable to create logs at this time. ~ Animal

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users