Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Vista Error With dwmredir.dll

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 pclimer

pclimer

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:32 AM

Posted 10 September 2009 - 09:28 PM

Hello,

I am working on fixing my aunts laptop.

It has been having problems since she first got it, so I decided to help her out and take a look at it.

The laptop was plagued with blue screens, so I decided to run a memtest.
After running the test, I discovered that one of the ram sticks in the laptop was corrupt.
Once I removed the corrupt stick, the laptop stopped crashing and began running extremely smooth.

The only problem left is when the laptop is booting into windows vista. An error box pops up and says

"dwm.exe- unable to locate component" under that it also says
"This application has failed to start because dwmredir.dll was not found. Re-installing the application may fix the problem"

After this error message Vista announces that the desktop window manager has stopped working.

After I close the messages windows runs just fine, but I have no clue why dwmredir.dll is missing.
My only guess is my aunt tried to update the computer, and it might have crashed when windows was updating something.

Any comments/ Suggestions would be well appreciated.

thanks,
Payton

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 pclimer

pclimer
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:32 AM

Posted 14 September 2009 - 03:42 PM

anyone?

#3 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Members
  • 27,809 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:32 AM

Posted 14 September 2009 - 04:00 PM

dwm.exe is a Desktop Window Manager\r from Microsoft Corporation\r belonging to Microsoft® Windows® Operating System\r . dwm.exe is the Desktop Window Manager and is responsible for the graphical effects in Microsoft Windows Vista operating system such as 3D effects, live windows previews and windows transperancies. The Aero interface in Windows Vista can be quite taxing on system performace on certain computers and you can switch it off or reduce the screen resolution to increase performance.

Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users