Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Upgrading graphics card

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 soulesskiller21

soulesskiller21

• Members
  • 60 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:38 AM

Posted 10 September 2009 - 06:08 PM

Want to upgrade my graphics card since the one I have is having problems handling newer games at low settings. I currently have a asus a8n5x which I'm guessing is old but its lasted and has been really reliable so far. I checked the specs of the cards I want to upgrade to and they're both pci express 2.0 x16 however I'm not 100% sure if my mobo has the pci port (the 2.0 is the main thing that's throwing me off) and was wondering if I could install it or not. If anyone's curious about my card selection its a choice between the SAPPHIRE Vapor-X Radeon HD 4870 and the XFX HD-489A-ZDFC Radeon HD 4890. The funny thing is the 4870 costs more but is less powerful while the 4890 is cheaper but louder.

My second question is if I could keep my radeon x1300 installed when (well if) I put in the new graphics card. From what I've read having 2 graphics cards installed makes it easier on both as they each take on certain tasks though I probably want be able to cause I don't believe my power supply can handle 2 cards, Although if I remember right I have a 600v power supply so I guess I'll just do a wait and see approach on that matter.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dpunisher

dpunisher

• BC Advisor
  • 2,234 posts
  •  

Posted 10 September 2009 - 06:45 PM

You can use the cards you listed with that board. You can't keep your old card however. That board only has one PCIeX16 slot, and I don't think you can crossfire a card that old with a 4XXX series.

I am a retired Ford tech. Next to Fords, any computer is a piece of cake. (The cake, its not a lie)

3770K @4.5, Corsair H100, GTX780, 16gig Samsung, Obsidian 700 (yes there is a 700)

#3 soulesskiller21

soulesskiller21
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 60 posts
  •  

Posted 10 September 2009 - 06:53 PM

thanks was hoping I could use them. It is unfortunate that I'll have to retire my x1300 cause it really is a good low end gaming graphics card, oh well

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users