Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

pheonix award bios

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 geasy

geasy

• Members
  • 46 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:55 PM

Posted 10 September 2009 - 03:14 PM

hi. my brother in laws pc keeps restarting randomly. iv look through and there are no errors in device manager. i went to intel website and downloaded a program to test his cpu. it came back that the cpu was overclocked. i went in to the bios by pressing f3 on bootup , but it will not let me access the cpu speed . it is highlighted in grey . it will let me change the time and date on the same page but not anything else. the bios is pheonix awardbios v0. 27. i know from my own pc that you should be able to change cpu speed. this might not be the reason why the pc restarts its self but i would like to eliminate it as a possible. if anyone can help i would be greatful

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Staff Emeritus
  • 27,809 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:55 PM

Posted 10 September 2009 - 04:23 PM

Go into the BIOS and select Restore Default Settings. Not all computers give you the option to change those settings
I wouldn't totally trust what the program said
At what point does the computer freeze?
Have you checked the inside for dust and lint build-up? Especially the CPU fan and heatsink
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#3 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,727 posts
  •  

Posted 10 September 2009 - 04:25 PM

I would try going back into the BIOS and resetting all default setttings. Once you are in the BIOS, there should be written instructions to restore default settings.

Then save those changes in the BIOS...and the system should reboot.

If this doesn't take care of it, then I would replace the CMOS battery for the system. It's probably a CR2032 battery, available anywhere selling photo/electronic/watch batteries (Walmart, Kmart, etc.).

Wacky things happen when it begins to run down.

CMOS Battery Replacement - http://www.liverepair.com/encyclopedia/art...cmosreplace.asp

FWIW: I think you have that BIOS version number set wrong.

Louis

#4 geasy

geasy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 46 posts
  •  

Posted 12 September 2009 - 07:10 AM

it doesnt freeze it restarts and sometimes goes to a blue screen with a message saying win32k.sys cmos uninstall any recently added hardware. but there has been no added hardware.
the pc was bought from pc world in the uk and it must have had the cpu overclocked since then. have cleaned it and changed battery but it still keeps happening. it happens mainly when tou running more than one program and once it goes the first time it does it more more often untill you have to leave it for hour, this makes me think its a heat problem, might get the household fan try putting that on it and running a load of programs.

#5 geasy

geasy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 46 posts
  •  

Posted 12 September 2009 - 07:18 AM

by the way thanks for your input

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users