Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Trying to Set up a Home Network

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 easyqueenie

easyqueenie

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:38 PM

Posted 10 September 2009 - 02:18 PM

Hi,

I'm sure this is a very common issue judging by how many sites I've tried to read through, but I just cannot get my two computers to talk to one another and I'm hoping someone could talk me through with some specific advice.

I have two computers, one is a Packard Bell desktop running Windows XP SP3, the other is a Dell Studio 17 running Windows Vista Home Premium SP1. I'd like to be able to leave the desktop switched on in the office and access the files on it from the laptop downstairs.

Both connect to the internet with a wireless connection, I have a Thompson Gateway TG585 v7 that they connect through. The desktop uses the Edimax Wireless Utility that came with the PCI card adaptor, the laptop is using Dell's in-built wireless utility. They are both on static IPs and have the same workgroup name.

If I go to "my network places" on the desktop and click "view workgroup computers", I seem to be able to see the laptop but if I double click it, it tells me I have don't have permission to access it. I cannot see the desktop from the laptop at the moment.

I'm completely at a loss with this now so any help would be useful. I apologise now if I've missed out any important information from this post.

Thank you.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 CaveDweller2

CaveDweller2

• Members
  • 2,629 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:38 PM

Posted 10 September 2009 - 04:05 PM

Do you have anything shared on the XP machine?

The easiest way to get those permissions that you are talking about is to turn on the guest account on both computers. Look in Control Panel for Users Accounts and then Guest. In XP I think you have to click it to turn it on and in Vista you have to take the little mark away from Disable Guest Account. You'll see what you have to do once you are in each one.

Could you open the command prompt on both computers and type ipconfig /all and post what each has listed when you do that please?

In XP - Click Start -> Click run -> type cmd -> Hit Enter and a box will pop up for you to type the command

in Vista - Click Start -> in the Search type cmd -> in the list double click the CMD command and it might ask if you want to run as Admin click Yes. Same deal the box will pop up.

Hope this helps thumbup.gif

Associate in Applied Science - Network Systems Management - Trident Technical College

#3 easyqueenie

easyqueenie
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:38 PM

Posted 11 September 2009 - 04:28 PM

Hi,

Just replying quickly so it's clear I've not abandoned this post. Having a few pregnancy issues (I'm due on Sun) so I've not been able to check this forum until now and I'm shattered and going to bed. I'll follow the above instructions tomorrow when my brain feels less like soggy cotton wool.

Thanks

#4 CaveDweller2

CaveDweller2

• Members
  • 2,629 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:38 PM

Posted 12 September 2009 - 03:56 AM

OMG deal with giving birth. Its not like being on the computer is going to be high priority in a couple days =)

Good luck and I hope you don't have 12 hours of labor :thumbsup:

Hope this helps thumbup.gif

Associate in Applied Science - Network Systems Management - Trident Technical College

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users