Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

virus protection

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 markmgk62

markmgk62

• Members
  • 51 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:39 AM

Posted 23 July 2005 - 06:30 PM

what is a good virus protection program and how does mcafee rate

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 thedon57

thedon57

• Members
  • 286 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:39 PM

Posted 23 July 2005 - 06:53 PM

Hi i use avast it is free works well with all windows programs, firewall antispy,etc updates are spot on you reg but that is only to get the key to make it yours have just gone to pro from home, to help pay for it to help others. the other one i no nothing about.
Now installed Microsoft Security Essencials on my Tower with Windows Home Premium 32bit and Toshiba Satellite Pro Laptop with Windows Home Premium 64bit

#3 KoanYorel

KoanYorel

Bleepin' Conundrum

• Staff Emeritus
  • 19,461 posts
  •  
  • Location:65 miles due East of the "Logic Free Zone", in Md, USA
  • Local time:10:39 AM

Posted 23 July 2005 - 07:01 PM

Hello markmgk62

I suggest you start reading here Simple Steps to keep your Computer Secure.

Then review this thread Virus and Malware Resources to choose what you will use.

Feel free to ask any other questions you have then here in this thread.

BTW - Welcome to Bleeping Computer!

Regards,
Koan
The only easy day was yesterday.

...some do, some don't; some will, some won't (WR)

#4 groovicus

groovicus

• Security Colleague
  • 9,963 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:39 AM

Posted 23 July 2005 - 07:44 PM

Hi i use avast it is free works well with all windows programs, firewall antispy,etc updates are spot on you reg but that is only to get the key to make it yours have just gone to pro from home, to help pay for it to help others. the other one i no nothing about.

I'm afraid something is wrong with your keyboard. Apparently the key with the period only works once in a while. Here, I'll give you some of mine................................... Try using a few sometimes..I have no idea at all what you are saying after Hi. I think we would all appreciate it if you took a little time, and were considerate enough of others, to please make your posts coherent?

And to answer the question , there is no 'best'. They all work more or less the same, the important thing is that you keep it updated. I use AntiVir, which is free, and they udate definitions every couple of days.. it doesn't screen emails though. You need to decide what you need your AV to do. I don't open mysterious emails, so I don't worry about screening my email. The links Koan gave you will help you decide what you need.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users