Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Slow screen repaint during scroll only

• Please log in to reply
No replies to this topic

#1 groovamos

groovamos

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:46 AM

Posted 10 September 2009 - 01:21 PM

Hi -- I've been searching these fora for some answers and nothing seemed to match my problem. This pertains to an older portable, a Presario 2135. Over the years I restored the machine to factory state using the CD set supplied for this. Recently after a disk crash, I installed a new disk and used the XP home edition OEM CD for a "real" install. After installations of updates, drivers etc. I noticed that whenever I was at a web page in IE or Firefox, scrolling (using wheel or scroll bar) was very slow, in "waves" progressing downwards when scrolling down, upwards when scrolling up (this clueing me in that this is likely OS related), with each "wave" taking about .3 sec. This was never the behavior I experienced when the machine was restored to factory state.

Extremist that I am, I reformatted, installed the OS a second time, but no updates, and immediately opened IE and had the same slow scrolling behavior when at a web page. When I go to Win Explorer and scroll through a large folder, the behavior is the same, scrolling in waves. But -- when using tabbed browsing in IE, when I tab to a page, the screen refresh is apparently normal speed, always, at the tab click.

Now to make this even more complicated, every so often I'll be at a web page and it scrolls normally. When I immediatley go to view a large folder in Win Explorer, scrolling is very slow, but going back to the aformentioned page in IE I still get normal scrolling, UNTIL I go to a different page, then I'm back to subnormal again.

I did find a post with similar problem and resolution by someone on experts-exchange.com, but I'm not going to pay the membership if someone here has any ideas. Thanks in advance, and I can supply link to the ex-ex.com post.

BTW I did go to display properties and turned off all of the effects..

Edited by groovamos, 10 September 2009 - 02:41 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users