Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows Task Manager is STUCK / will not update

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Invisible City

Invisible City

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:50 PM

Posted 10 September 2009 - 12:07 PM

Hello:

Often I have to open Windows Task Manager and manually close IE7 because it's using 145,000 cpu.

However, when I do this the Task Manager will not automatically update. IE7 will close, but that Task Manager still shows it as open and using a bunch of cpu. I have to close the Task Manager and then re-open it to see the change.

Why is this?

A healthy computer will update the Task Manager automatically and in real time, no?

Thanks for any help.

IC

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Invisible City

Invisible City
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 14 September 2009 - 08:37 AM

No ideas on why my task manager is acting this way?

#3 pablo49

pablo49

• Members
  • 50 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:50 PM

Posted 14 September 2009 - 09:19 AM

Hi IC
Given the information you provided I can offer two guesses: (1) the machine is over-loaded (too many programs running) AND under-powered (CPU and RAM) causing lock-ups. Or (2) malware infestation.
What is the make and model number of the computer?
What is the CPU speed and amount of memory?
When you open Task Manager, how many running processes are shown?
Have you run a full scan with Malwarebytes Antimalware or Super Antispyware?
Have you tried resetting IE7?

#4 Invisible City

Invisible City
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 14 September 2009 - 10:25 AM

Hello Pablo,

Thank you for your response.

I have an Antec brand PC with Celeron® D CPU 3.33GHz, 1G Ram, 40G HD, XPPro Service Pack3

I just did the IE7 reset. That didn't change the Task Manager problem.

avgscsrvx.exe is listed twice with each using about 15,000 K, TSTimer is always using about 13,000 K, MsMpEng.exe is always using about 34,000 K.

In total, I have 38 running processes listed in Task Manager.

I have not run a malware scan in a while. However, this problem began directly after removing a google redirect virus. I used Malwarebytes and Dr Web for that and it resulted in a few other "changes" that I was less than happy with.
For example: immediately after the virus removal I had no sound or ability to stream flash videos. I have since resolved these issues, but the high cpu usage and frozen task manager remain.

Edited by Invisible City, 14 September 2009 - 10:25 AM.

#5 Invisible City

Invisible City
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 14 September 2009 - 10:33 AM

I should add that often I open Task Manager and it will show 100% usage or 0% usage with the same amount of processes running. This is definitely not right.

It is absolutely rare that it will show, say, 64% usage or anything that could be considered "accurate".

#6 pablo49

pablo49

• Members
  • 50 posts
  •  

Posted 14 September 2009 - 06:16 PM

IC,
I think we can rule out my first hunch of the machine being under powered. Your statement that the "problem began directly after removing a google redirect virus" suggests hunch number 2 may still be in play. I would try two things: do a system restore to a point prior to the original malware infection, and secondly run a battery of malware scans on the system. By 'battery of scans' I mean on-demand scanners like Malwarebytes Anti Malware and Super Antispyware; on-line scans from Bit Defender, Kaspersky and Trend Micro; and a few boot disks scans.

#7 Invisible City

Invisible City
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 15 September 2009 - 12:38 PM

Thanks, Pablo. I'll do that.

I'm going to post my Malwarebytes log.

Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware 1.41
Database version: 2775
Windows 5.1.2600 Service Pack 3

9/15/2009 9:17:01 AM
mbam-log-2009-09-15 (09-17-01).txt

Scan type: Full Scan (A:\|C:\|D:\|)
Objects scanned: 199053
Time elapsed: 1 hour(s), 1 minute(s), 6 second(s)

Memory Processes Infected: 0
Memory Modules Infected: 0
Registry Keys Infected: 4
Registry Values Infected: 0
Registry Data Items Infected: 0
Folders Infected: 1
Files Infected: 5

Memory Processes Infected:
(No malicious items detected)

Memory Modules Infected:

Registry Keys Infected:
HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\rpd56.rpd56mgr (Trojan.FakeAlert) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\rpd56.rpd56mgr.1 (Trojan.FakeAlert) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Ext\Stats\{ea73037a-f182-44a0-bc0b-690d71231330} (Trojan.FakeAlert) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Winlogon\Notify\__c007489d (Trojan.Vundo) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.

Registry Values Infected:

Registry Data Items Infected:

Folders Infected:
C:\WINDOWS\system32\sysloc (Trojan.BHO) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.

Files Infected:
C:\d45.bat (Malware.Trace) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
C:\Documents and Settings\Administrator\Start Menu\Programs\Startup\ChkDisk.lnk (Trojan.FakeAlert) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
C:\WINDOWS\system32\ovfsthxjnqwddoh.dat (Trojan.Agent) -> Quarantined

Question: Does Quarantined and deleted successfully mean exactly that? Or is like as soon as I reboot, all these problems come back?

#8 pablo49

pablo49

• Members
  • 50 posts
  •  

Posted 15 September 2009 - 04:04 PM

Hello IC,
You should start a new thread in the "Am I Infected?" section of the forum. There you will find volunteers much more versed in malware clean up. Hopefully the wait for assistance won't be long and the clean up an easy task.
Good luck!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users