Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Backup Windows XP

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 polaris6

polaris6

• Members
  • 254 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:38 PM

Posted 23 July 2005 - 06:07 PM

I am uncertain which forum this should be directed. I would appreciate this message be directed to the appropriate person/forum.

I just purchased Norton Ghost 9.0 and installed it on my laptop (Dell Latitude), 512 MB RAM, 60 GB HD, Win XP OS.

I have tried 2x to image the entire HD on to a Western Digital USB Drive (40 GB). The amount of information to be copied is about 34GB. In each case, the process starts and completes about 20% of that which is to be copied (about 4 GB) and the computer locks up and an audio alarm sounds (I have never heard this alarm before and I have had this computer for a few years).

I would appreciate any direction as to how I can successfully back up my HD for incremental backing up with this software.

Thank you.

polaris6

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Grinler

Grinler

Lawrence Abrams

• Admin
  • 43,504 posts
  •  

Posted 25 July 2005 - 02:42 PM

Is the alarm a series of beeps?

#3 polaris6

polaris6
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 254 posts
  •  

Posted 25 July 2005 - 04:57 PM

Yes, the audio was a continuous series of beeps which could be turned off only by shutting down the power to the computer (the sound did not resume after rebooting).

For what ever reason, the beepings have stopped when I try to back up now. I reformatted the USB drive to NTFS (from FAT32) and the backup process continues to about 50% completion, then hangs up and I have to reboot. It has done this twice since I have reformatted.

I have no trouble copying data from the C-drive to the USB Drive (25+ GB) with no hang up. The maximum I get from the backup process is about 9 GB (the USB HD is 40 GB; RAM = 512 MB). XP Pro OS.

#4 Grinler

Grinler

Lawrence Abrams

• Admin
  • 43,504 posts
  •  

Posted 25 July 2005 - 07:30 PM

Strange, its probably something to do with the USB interface to the drive. Have you chcked to see if there are any new drivers for that drive?

#5 polaris6

polaris6
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 254 posts
  •  

Posted 26 July 2005 - 12:32 AM

No I haven't. Perhaps I should.

I will check back with you after I do.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users