Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Folders not opening properly

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 A_Mata

A_Mata

• Members
  • 25 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:37 PM

Posted 10 September 2009 - 11:05 AM

:thumbsup: My Story:
I am a hard core virus survivor, and currently I am virus free, I've run ESET, Malwarebytes, Spybot, and Kapersky and I have no more critters roaming in my system :flowers: (and I run at least 1 a week) but after my last infection I believe I may have gotten a worm that messed up the system file that controls opening folders (?)

:inlove: What's happening:
Everytime I go to open a folder by double clicking it (either in my computer, or on desktop) it starts to open a new window and then... it closes it. and then it opens it... and then it closes it. If I make a mistake and double click a folder it can pull up 10-20 windows at a time, like a strobe light flashing on my screen. The only way I can make it stop other than rebooting is moving the folder to another folder or dropping it in the trash temporarily. Then all of the windows freeze, and a message asking me if I want to restore my last page pops up, then I go through and close out all 20 or so windows.

:trumpet: Note:
:P No pop ups or ads, just blank white pages that prior to loading close them selves out.

:) During this, I can only see dozens of iexplore.exe's popping up and closing down in my task manager, no other odd processes running.

:cool: Also I can open my folders by going to start and clicking on my computer and exploring as long as i only single click in the left hand column while exploring.

:) My brief research:
I read about a person not being able to open their folders at all, they'd click it, and then the hourglass would come up but nothing would happen. They advised me to check if enable third party extensions was checked and if it was to uncheck it. It was already unchecked.

:) Another quirky thing:
Previously I was a hard core Spybot user, and had it set to delete my logs after it ran. During the time I was infected the last time, we disabled spybot, and I never enabled it again, because I've been all about malware bytes since then. Before, after spybot would delete the logs when you rebooted you would get two command screens (black dos screens) that would go away and all of the recent programs would be cleared out. But its doing that sometimes still now, without running spybot. and not all the time, but once in awhile. but no spybot processes are running at all so i'm not sure how this is happening.
A. Mata

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,254 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:37 PM

Posted 10 September 2009 - 11:23 AM

Did you try a repair install...after the system was deemed clean/free of malware?

Files may become damaged during infection/removal of malware and a repair install of XP is one attempt to replace/remove any missing or damaged system files.

How to Perform a Windows XP Repair Install - http://www.michaelstevenstech.com/XPrepairinstall.htm

Note: The above instructions are not intended for users with recovery/restore partitions/CDs created by system manufacturers (Dell, eMachines, Gateway, HP, etc.). These instructions are based on the assumption that the user has a Microsoft XP install CD prepared by Microsoft and not altered by anyone (other than by adding SPs to the original install CD contents).

Louis

#3 A_Mata

A_Mata
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 25 posts
  •  

Posted 10 September 2009 - 12:02 PM

I hadn't done that, because I was worried about losing programs like adobe illustrator that i don't have the disk for anymore, can i do that without losing my programs?
A. Mata

#4 xhanis

xhanis

• Members
  • 22 posts
  •  

Posted 10 September 2009 - 12:07 PM

hello guys

that suggestion are good for maybe your pc are clean of virus but some virus can make any file system corrupted it can make pc crash or go crazy sometime it good to have a backup in case your pc are heavily damaged

cause i also encountered the same problem before i know bleepingcomputer forum
just hoping you dont have the same problem like me

#5 xhanis

xhanis

• Members
  • 22 posts
  •  

Posted 10 September 2009 - 12:12 PM

do you have any image for your pc or any backup for your pc

#6 A_Mata

A_Mata
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 25 posts
  •  

Posted 10 September 2009 - 12:23 PM

I do, i try to keep it backed up, and a lot of stuff is saved elsewhere, its just the programs i don't have disks for anymore that i worry about. replacing my illustrator and photoshop will run me about $800 bucks i don't have :D
A. Mata

#7 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,254 posts
  •  

Posted 10 September 2009 - 12:53 PM

If you read the link posted re repair install procedures...I believe your question will be answered.

Louis

#8 A_Mata

A_Mata
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 25 posts
  •  

Posted 10 September 2009 - 01:29 PM

okay thank you! :thumbsup:
A. Mata

0 user(s) are reading this topic