Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

mcaffee & defender redundant?

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 LollieOllie

LollieOllie

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:15 PM

Posted 10 September 2009 - 10:42 AM

My Mcaffe renews this month.

I am wondering " Do I really need Mcafee"
Right now I have Defender disabled, but if I were to enable it and then get a freebie like AVG then do I really need Mcaffee?
Not only would I like to save the $$$, I would like to speed things up.

Thanks
Lolly

Edit: Moved topic from Vista to the more appropriate forum. ~ Animal

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 cod head

cod head

• Members
  • 162 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:15 PM

Posted 10 September 2009 - 11:37 AM

If you want to remove Mcafee check if they have a removal tool to completely remove it or you will have problems if any remnants left.Most a.v.products have removal tools.If I were going for a free a.v.I would choose either Avira or Avast.Avast is good and light on resources.Its what I use and the web shield as saved my bacon a few times preventing infection.But horses for courses and its your choice at the end of the day.And yes I would re enable Windows Defender.I would also download Malwarebytes as a on demand scanner.It is a good piece of kit.

#3 Jonnas_tan

Jonnas_tan

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:15 PM

Posted 10 September 2009 - 04:28 PM

My Mcaffe renews this month.

I am wondering " Do I really need Mcafee"
Right now I have Defender disabled, but if I were to enable it and then get a freebie like AVG then do I really need Mcaffee?
Not only would I like to save the $$$, I would like to speed things up.

Thanks
Lolly

Edit: Moved topic from Vista to the more appropriate forum. ~ Animal

I wouldn't recommend free stuff but I wouldn't recommend Mcaffee either. You should test some free trials before you decide. I am using Bitdefender 2010 and pleased with it.

#4 Bambo

Bambo

• Members
  • 133 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:15 PM

Posted 10 September 2009 - 04:56 PM

You dont really need Mcafee. Avast is soon ready with a new version and so is Microsoft. MS one replaces Windows Defender and adds good old "Antivirus" protection so nope you dont need to pay up. Well you already paid for Microsoft products. Ive not tried Avast yet, still beta, but looks to make a big deal out of shields, as always. Pretty. MS one can be run by your Grandma - and does the same. Both on level or better than Mcafee. Not many tests/"reviews" give much meaning unless you love marketing but perhaps AV-Comparatives is worth a look http://www.av-comparatives.org/ These are paid versions so important to know difference to free - in most cases zero.

If we forget Vistas firewall is enough to block programs and more, and perhaps remember firewall is only top priority for the few, there are also free ones. Often does much more than Mcafee.

Last I tried Mcafee it had many added features to appear more suite-like but same thing applies, there are free alternatives. Still feeling better about paying up then perhaps look elsewhere. If forced I might look at Norton, ESET or Kaspersky. Would end up feeling stupid no matter which though. Suite or not is really a matter of convenience or a question how lazy you are :thumbsup: If not feeling safe using free stuff go ahead. Not like it is a fortune and feelings counts. Industry also need support now Microsoft and Avast is about to take over market :flowers: But dont think you are any safer because you paid up. Malwarebytes have saved many butts left out in the cold by paid security products, and is free to use.

Forgot. If you give Avast a try you are still able to use Windows Defender. Up against paid Mcafee they look bad? Dont think so. Actually Ive read on their blog coming vers. 5 is compatible with new MS av. Does not make sense but nice if they can run together. Using something that allow Defender, new or old, is great but more or less means you are stuck with free AV. Paid usually dont like it too much, conflicts they say.

Edited by Bambo, 11 September 2009 - 01:26 PM.

#5 cod head

cod head

• Members
  • 162 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:15 PM

Posted 11 September 2009 - 12:55 AM

Windows Defender runs nicely alongside Avast with no problems.May I also add if you only have Vista,s one way firewall and find it difficult,as many do configuring Vista's firewall with advanced security I would recommend Vista firewall control by Sphinx Software.It converts your one way firewall into a two way easy configurable firewall.I use it and its good.I have no paid for security apps on my computer and am doing fine.Also Spyware Blaster is good for blocking a lot of nasties.And I agree with Bambo on Microsoft's replacement for Windows Defender looks very promising.I prefer layered protection to a paid for suite.But thats just my opinion.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users