Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Vista laptop not showing on XP desktop workgroup

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 LJS11

LJS11

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:15 PM

Posted 10 September 2009 - 10:35 AM

I have had a recurring problem that has baffled me. Sometimes I have no difficulty seeing both computers from either side of the network, and at other times, only the XP desktop is visible from the Vista laptop. I have played with the firewall adjustments endlessly (Kaspersky and Windows) and set up the networks many times with the same result: sometimes it works; sometimes it doesn't. I have both cabled and wireless access to the router, but this doesn't seem to be an issue.

Any suggestions?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 CaveDweller2

CaveDweller2

• Members
  • 2,629 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:15 PM

Posted 11 September 2009 - 06:20 AM

Do you have any issues if you take the firewalls down completely?

Do you have 2 firewalls running at the same time on both computers? or you have Windows on one and Kasp. on the other? If its both firewalls on both computers, turn off Windows and see if that clears it up.

If not, what I would do is connect them both wired to the router, remove all firewalls and rebuild the sharing. See if you still have the issue of sometimes there sometimes not. If it runs fine for a day or so then start adding things in, like go wireless on 1 computer give it some time if all is good then add something else in. At some point you'll probably find the issue.

My opinion on firewalls. If you own a router and the NAT firewall is turned on and you don't have a PC in the DMZ there is no need to have windows or any other firewall running. All you are doing at that point is stopping people already in your network from getting on your PC. If someone is good enough to get past your router then they are good enough to get past your firewall. Again this is my opinion and others may disagree, which is fine.

Hope this helps thumbup.gif

Associate in Applied Science - Network Systems Management - Trident Technical College

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users