Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Security for new connection

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 abanerji

abanerji

• Members
  • 36 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:27 AM

Posted 10 September 2009 - 10:21 AM

I have been using a regular wired DSL broadband modem in my Compaq laptop. Planning to buy a new USB wireless modem. Am a bit confused about the security issues which may have to be addressed now.

My current OS/security setup is as below :-

a) Win-XP SP2 (completely patched, vetted by Secunia)
b AVG AV/AS free 8.5
c) ZA firewall free 7.0.483
d) Sundry utilities/protection software : Ccleaner, Spywareblaster
e) Safe browsing habit

I have been reading about WEP and WPA, but have not understood fully whether these would be applicable for my new USB wireless modem. I don't ever intend to use any wifi / hotspot.

What more do I need to do please?
Thanks,

Edited by abanerji, 10 September 2009 - 10:22 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Eric RBA

Eric RBA

• Members
  • 252 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:57 PM

Posted 10 September 2009 - 12:18 PM

You should always, always, no matter what, have your wireless connection secured with the most security you are capable of having and would be able to set up or have someone help you with.

What type of USB wireless device do you have, or will you be getting? If your laptop is not old, like less then 4 or 5 years old, then you won't need anything to plug directly into the laptop because it will most likely already have internal wireless. What is your laptop model?

Then, whether your laptop has internal wireless or you are going to get a wireless device to plug into the laptop, you will need to have a wireless router for your DSL connection. Without that you won't get any signal for your USB device to pick up. Do you have a router? If not, you will need to get one and you'll want to make sure that the USB device, the wireless router and your laptop are all compatible. That basically means that you will need to make sure that if your laptop supports a specific type of wireless (802.11G, 802.11B, 802.11N) you will need to get wireless devices that support that. Or if the laptop supports B,G and N then you can get just about any device out there, but I would suggest getting a USB device and wireless router that are the same (both G, both N, etc.)

I hope this helps. If you can answer the questions, providing more details, more specific help can be provided.
I would never ask a person to do something that I wouldn't do myself.

#3 abanerji

abanerji
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 36 posts
  •  

Posted 10 September 2009 - 01:36 PM

Thank you. My laptop has a built-in Broadcom 802.11b/g wireless network card. But, I am not using it.

What I am buying now is a USB "data card" modem. I will be using it during travel. As I understand, this modem will "wirelessly" connect to the ISP's local tower.
My existing DSL broadband modem connects to the ISP through cable only, and there's no wireless element in this. While travelling, I can't carry my existing DSL broadband modem, so can't use a wireless router too.

As mentioned in my OP. I don't intend to connect to any wifi / hotspot ever.

I have little knowledge about wireless / wifi technology, and am sorry that my query and the facts were unclear.

So, do I need any additional security for the data card, apart from my existing AV / software firewall?

#4 Eric RBA

Eric RBA

• Members
  • 252 posts
  •  

Posted 10 September 2009 - 02:51 PM

So it sounds like you're using an air card from your ISP? You're essentially using cell phone service to get internet then if that's the case. You really won't be able to configure much of anything on that device, and you don't really need to. You will be as secure as you need to be already. Just be sure, like you said, to have your firewall working and keep AV and anti-spyware stuff working and updated.

#5 abanerji

abanerji
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 36 posts
  •  

Posted 12 September 2009 - 11:54 AM

Thank you very much. I feel relieved.

#6 Eric RBA

Eric RBA

• Members
  • 252 posts
  •  

Posted 14 September 2009 - 09:44 AM

I'm glad you feel that way and I'm glad I could help. You're welcome.

#7 Layback Bear

Layback Bear

• Members
  • 1,880 posts
  •  

Posted 11 October 2009 - 10:46 AM

Just a thought. XP-SP3 has a lot of security updates built in that just might help on security with or without a router.

#8 Eric RBA

Eric RBA

• Members
  • 252 posts
  •  

Posted 12 October 2009 - 08:03 AM

In this case it's less about any routers and more about the air card that he was concerned with.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users