Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Tutorials

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Rodasm

Rodasm

• Members
  • 34 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:04 AM

Posted 10 September 2009 - 10:17 AM

I followed the advice in Tutorials "How to update a Windows hardware driver" Using the prog recommended, it showed 41 good drivers and 17 bad drivers.
Using Device Manager I right clicked each item and 'updated drivers'. Every one came back saying “The wizard could not find a better match….”
I looked up one manufacturers web site and found updates but none related to my hardware :flowers:
So the question is. Are they out of date, or not? :thumbsup:

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 circaal

circaal

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:04 AM

Posted 10 September 2009 - 10:40 AM

Most likely if they are working you shoudn't need to update them. The only reason to update your drivers is if certain components on the computer are not working correctly.
-BTY

#3 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,887 posts
  •  

Posted 10 September 2009 - 11:15 AM

<<Using the prog recommended, it showed 41 good drivers and 17 bad drivers.>>

I probably missed it...but I looked at our tutorial and I don't see a program recommended for checking out drivers. What program might that be, please? I've never seen any program classify drivers as "good/bad" and I'm curious as to how such would be determined.

I agree with Circaal...if they are working properly and you have no problems, there is no reason to update a driver ever.

Driver updates come out (IMO) because some (not all) users will experience a problem with a given set of drivers and the developer comes out with updates to address those particular known problems. But...if you don't have the problems which a given driver update may address, there's no point in fiddling with a working system.

Driver updates do not belong in the same category of concern...that XP critical updates belongs in. Critical updates should be installed because they enhance the system security posture or address O/S issues which need to be addressed immediately.

Louis

#4 Rodasm

Rodasm
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 34 posts
  •  

Posted 10 September 2009 - 02:28 PM

[quote][quote name='hamluis' date='Sep 10 2009, 11:15 AM' post='1420064']
<<Using the prog recommended, it showed 41 good drivers and 17 bad drivers.>>

<<I probably missed it...but I looked at our tutorial and I don't see a program recommended for checking out drivers. What program might that be, please? >>

"How to update a Windows hardware driver
......However, in the event that you are unable to find a driver section, there are a number of handy sites which collect all the drivers available into an alphabetical list by manufacturer name. My favorite is www.driverzone.com. It has an up-to-date list of available drivers, and is very easy for novices to navigate around"

<<I've never seen any program classify drivers as "good/bad" and I'm curious as to how such would be determined>>

Run 'driverzone' you'll see drivers classified as "good"/"bad"

<<But...if you don't have the problems which a given driver update may address, there's no point in fiddling with a working system.>>

"Why do I need to update?
Also as time goes by, hardware manufacturers release new versions of their drivers to fix bugs, increase performance, increase stability on your computer, or add new features. When these drivers are released it is recommended that you upgrade your driver to take advantage of these new enhancements"

It's all in the script, shoulda gone to...nah I won't say it

I haven't got the hang of quotes yet

#5 joseibarra

joseibarra

• Members
  • 1,224 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:04 AM

Posted 10 September 2009 - 02:31 PM

...and beware of the sites offering you free system, dll and driver scans that find critical drivers that are out of date and could harm your system! Especially when you didn't even think you had a problem.

Of course the details will cost you some $$$.

You can't even Google a .dll name nowadays without somebody offering you a free scan or a fix for something.

If you found it here in the BC tutorials, I would like to try it. Could be just an interpretation thang.

The mediocre teacher tells. The good teacher explains. The superior teacher demonstrates.

#6 Rodasm

Rodasm
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 34 posts
  •  

Posted 10 September 2009 - 03:00 PM

Hi joseibarra
That's the impression I get.
"FREE" registry editors run a scan and say you have ten zillion faulty entries., scary stuff. When you try to clean them, up pops the $ sign or in my case the £ sign. But they always have a get out that you use the prog at your own risk. Not surprising they always tell you to back up your registry etc, before using their prog. Ya pays yer money and ya gets grief.
The 'driverzone' mentioned also end up with $/£'s before you can get drivers.
Exploiting the naive.

#7 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,887 posts
  •  

Posted 10 September 2009 - 03:03 PM

Thanks...I did review the link (it's among those I cite as references) but failed to see driverzone mentioned.

Not that I agree, but it's not my tutorial :thumbsup:.

In any case, you decide what makes sense for you.

Louis

#8 Rodasm

Rodasm
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 34 posts
  •  

Posted 10 September 2009 - 05:17 PM

hello hamluis
Of course we all have different opinions and follow our own perceptions based on experience, either for better or worse
Thanks for your interest :thumbsup:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users