Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Looking After My External Hard Drive

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 joebeaven

joebeaven

• Members
  • 422 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:54 PM

Posted 10 September 2009 - 10:03 AM

Hi,

I've just bought a Seagate FreeAgent Desk 1TB external hard drive. I'm concerned because it doesn't appear to have an on/off switch and I want to make sure I don't damage it. What is the best way to shut it down whilst keeping it in good condition?

Thanks,
Joe

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,289 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:54 PM

Posted 10 September 2009 - 11:58 AM

Hi :thumbsup:.

From what I see...it goes to sleep after 15 minutes of nonuse, which is not the same as being disconnected.

I read where some persons have had trouble with these types of drives, http://forums.seagate.com/stx/board/messag...message.id=6087

Louis

#3 Eric RBA

Eric RBA

• Members
  • 252 posts
  •  

Posted 10 September 2009 - 12:22 PM

Bummer. I'd take it back if it's not too late.
I would never ask a person to do something that I wouldn't do myself.

#4 joebeaven

joebeaven
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 422 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:54 PM

Posted 11 September 2009 - 08:57 AM

Thanks for the advice. Thanks for finding that forum, but I don't have it switched on on startup, so that shouldn't be a problem. I have actually had one fail already and I was concerned I'd done something wrong to cause that, but it doesn't sound like I did. I couldn't find any documentation about operating turning the drive on and off in the box it came in. I would have thought that an on/off switch would have been a good idea.

#5 Eric RBA

Eric RBA

• Members
  • 252 posts
  •  

Posted 11 September 2009 - 10:44 AM

Is returning the Seagate and going with a different model/brand an option for you? I just don't see how it's worth it to have to sort out these issues or deal with potential problems.

EDIT: Just my humble opinion.

Edited by Eric RBA, 11 September 2009 - 10:44 AM.

#6 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,289 posts
  •  

Posted 11 September 2009 - 12:07 PM

I have to agree :thumbsup:.

Hard drive manufacturers have proceeded to try to make external drives that are user-proof. Their version of plugn-play is to have the drive basically do everything on its own, without user interference.

The problem arises in that users are attracted to these types of drives...and don't seem to realize user-intervention is a good thing...when one wants to have control over a computer system.

Many of these drives have no power supply nor on/off switch...each of these is a good thing to have if you are going to connect an external drive to a PC.

Louis

Another item: These encased hard drives have a 1-year warranty, whereas the internal hard drive purchased by itself...would typically have a 3-5-year warranty.

Edited by hamluis, 11 September 2009 - 12:10 PM.

#7 Eric RBA

Eric RBA

• Members
  • 252 posts
  •  

Posted 14 September 2009 - 09:31 AM

joebeaven, I would say get a new one if possible and go with a different brand. This is obviously opinion, and not a professional one necessarily, but here are two suggestions.

Fantom GreenDrive 1TB - Great rating, low price

LaCie 1TB - Neil Poulton design
- I own this hard drive, it's excellent!

Both of those have power switches and are great hard drives, but of course you could shop around.

#8 Moby Purple

Moby Purple

• Members
  • 97 posts
  •  

Posted 15 September 2009 - 09:12 AM

I just bought my second Fantom (GreenDrive 1 TB), and one of the main reasons is that they have an on/off switch. I turn mine off and disconnect from the PC when not backing up in case of lightning or a power surge. I just don't like the idea of having to unplug a device to turn it off.

#9 Alchemist

Alchemist

• Members
  • 176 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:54 PM

Posted 15 September 2009 - 07:42 PM

joebeaven, I would say get a new one if possible and go with a different brand. This is obviously opinion, and not a professional one necessarily, but here are two suggestions.

Fantom GreenDrive 1TB - Great rating, low price

LaCie 1TB - Neil Poulton design
- I own this hard drive, it's excellent!

Both of those have power switches and are great hard drives, but of course you could shop around.

I've been thinking of getting an external drive to do backups. Fantom isn't an actual manufacturer of hard drives, though, are they? How do you figure out what the brand of the actual drive inside the case happens to be?I se that it does both USB and eSATA. Is that done by having separate plugs for each interface? Or is there an adapter to make the eSATA connector fit a USB port?

#10 PC WizKid

PC WizKid

• Members
  • 58 posts
  •  

Posted 16 September 2009 - 08:58 AM

I think it means that has esata and USB ports and I have never heard of an adapter. But I could be wrong.
I love Windows Vista Ultimate

Windows 7 RC no more :cry:

#11 Eric RBA

Eric RBA

• Members
  • 252 posts
  •  

Posted 16 September 2009 - 09:10 AM

I've been thinking of getting an external drive to do backups. Fantom isn't an actual manufacturer of hard drives, though, are they? How do you figure out what the brand of the actual drive inside the case happens to be?I se that it does both USB and eSATA. Is that done by having separate plugs for each interface? Or is there an adapter to make the eSATA connector fit a USB port?

I'm not sure as far as what's inside the Fantom, I've only heard great things about it but don't own it. You might be able to get more info for that from the Fantom website.

As for the connector types, they have USB and eSATA plugs, individually, and some have firewire plugs as well if you're into that type, so you have options and will just need the cables.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users