Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

need help with operating system disk.

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 Jewelleria

Jewelleria

• Members
  • 69 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:09 PM

Posted 10 September 2009 - 07:41 AM

I have a dell computer with windows vista. It has had several problems. This is the second time I have factory restored the computer. When I did it this time it said to put in the operating system disk. The problem is I can't get the computer to run except for running startup repair. I can get to advanced options like command prompt, system restore, etc. How can I get this disk to work so I can factory restore my computer please help.

(Moderator edit: post moved to more appropriate forum. jgw)

Edited by jgweed, 10 September 2009 - 08:16 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 ddeerrff

ddeerrff

Retired

• Malware Response Team
  • 2,727 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:09 PM

Posted 10 September 2009 - 10:00 AM

Dell instructions as to how to restore to factory condition here:
http://support.dell.com/support/topics/glo...toggle=&dl=

This is for a C521 but all Vista machines should be the same.

If you need an OS reinstall disk, as long as you are in the US and are the owner of record try the form here:
http://support.dell.com/support/topics/glo...&redirect=1

If your recovery partition is damaged and you need to reload directly from the OS disk, then you need to set the BIOS to boot from the OS disk.

Edited by ddeerrff, 10 September 2009 - 10:05 AM.

Derfram
~~~~~~

#3 Jewelleria

Jewelleria
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 69 posts
  •  

Posted 16 September 2009 - 07:31 AM

ddeerrff

I just wanted to say thanks for the help. It took two days for me to get windows installed on my computer because it wouldn't stay running. I would go to the boot menu and boot the bios from the disk, or CD anyway I have had trouble with this computer for a long time and I don't know if the problem I was having is related, My Norton kept saying that services.exe was trying to access the internet and then shut down the computer. This was happening for along time. It starting happening more and more. I decided to factory restore the computer and when I did it said that the last time I tried it, the factory restore hadn't worked, windows was installed incorrtly and please put in the disk. Of course it wouldn't work, but with these instuctions and some patience it finally installed and my computer has actually worked for a week without shutting inself off. I wanted to thank you for the help. I have been working on this problem forever.

Jewel

#4 PC WizKid

PC WizKid

• Members
  • 58 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:09 PM

Posted 16 September 2009 - 08:38 AM

I am glad that you managed to fix it. :huh:

Edited by PC WizKid, 16 September 2009 - 08:39 AM.

I love Windows Vista Ultimate

Windows 7 RC no more :cry:

#5 Jewelleria

Jewelleria
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 69 posts
  •  

Posted 27 September 2009 - 11:47 AM

My PC ran good for about a week and then it started again shutting off for a reason I can't figure out.
The only thing on this PC is windows vista, microsoft works 8.5, Norton sec. 2010, windows live update is up to date, and so is live update on security.
The computer is a dell inspiron, 2 years old, Internet explorer, no printer or speakers, I am going to wait to put these back until I can keep the PC running.
I am not that good with computers, but I know a little. I am just trying to find some answer.
Last night I went to the bios boot menu and put the disk for operating system in again. It installed correctly. All night I could hear the PC shutting off and rebooting. This morning when I got up It was on startup repair. It has ran startup repair so many times and it says that it can't fix the problem. It could be something to do with the system config. changed. I don't use the PC for anything except school, and Norton checkmarks all the safe sites.

Is there a place I can go on the PC after it shuts off and restarts all the time, to see why this is going on, or do you have a suggest on what to try, or do I need to just get a new PC.

#6 Jewelleria

Jewelleria
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 69 posts
  •  

Posted 27 September 2009 - 05:55 PM

I meant to add that computer solutions has no suggestions.

#7 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Staff Emeritus
  • 27,809 posts
  •  

Posted 27 September 2009 - 08:46 PM

Is it shutting down without any error messages or blue screens?
Does it shut off and stay off or does it start up right away?
Possibly over heating
You might also want to go to the manufacturer of the hard drive and download and run their diagnostic utility
Check the Event Viewer for clues
http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/40108/how-to-use-event-viewer/
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#8 pigsticker

pigsticker

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:09 PM

Posted 27 September 2009 - 10:16 PM

Hi you are having all these problems with this Dell computer. Dump the dam,n thing and buy a new computer with 7 on it. Take your time and set this computer up like your life depends on it ! Good fire wall, good anti virus , pick out a nice anti spyware program, maybe two programs, pick out a browser other than Explorer, I like FireFox, Opera is another good one, stay up to date. And take it easy ! also back up ! :huh: Steven

#9 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Staff Emeritus
  • 27,809 posts
  •  

Posted 28 September 2009 - 06:46 PM

Dump the dam,n thing and buy a new computer with 7 on it

Did it ever occur to you that they may not have the finances?
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#10 Jewelleria

Jewelleria
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 69 posts
  •  

Posted 28 September 2009 - 08:45 PM

First I wondered what with 7 on it means. I thought it meant IE, but. This happened while I was in event viewer;

The parallel port driver service failed to start due to the following error: The service cannot be started, because it is disabled or because it has no enabled devices associated with it.
The following boot-start or system-start driver(s) failed to load: NULL

CUSTOM VIEW
log name: system
source: Service control manager event
ID: 7026
user: n/a
opcode : info
keyword: classic

DETAILS
xmins=http://schemas.microsoft.com/win/2004/08/events/event
GUID={555908D1-A6D7-4695-8E1E-26931D2012F4}
ID qualifiers "49152">7026</
keywords > 0x80000000000000</
event record ID 25666
Name="paraml">null</data

That is what I can find out . If you see anything let me know. Thanks.

If this is an OP system failure or driver failure would the disk that came with the system help.

#11 Jewelleria

Jewelleria
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 69 posts
  •  

Posted 01 October 2009 - 07:33 AM

They should really just name the disk that comes with the computer diagnostic test instead of drivers and utilities. I can't get it to run right now, but I will. I haven't looked at PC's in awhile I found out what 7 is, windows.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users