Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

where do I find a list of the latest patches installed XP

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 georgia

georgia

• Members
  • 567 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:53 PM

Posted 10 September 2009 - 03:46 AM

Hi, I have been using only my A/V and my spyware.malware applications for 3 years and doing fine. The other day I mistakenly added the patch for Windows XP that was for a protection program and I can't even remember if the new protection from XP which has been out for a long time was "Protect" or "Defend".....only a part of the name and I don't know how to find the list of these recently added patches.
The reason that I want to uninstall this Windows patch is b/c it is disabling my spyware/malware app that has been performing well since I bought and installed it several years ago.
I hope experienced users can point me to where this list is and where this patch is described and also advise if I am able to delete this error of an install which I have avoided all this time until now. Presently I have to activate my spyware/malware app since my foolish addition of this patch and I do not want to compromise my well working system of some several years.
Thank you for your time.
Cheers.
Talent is a flame. Genius is a fire.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 CoolCatBad

CoolCatBad

• Members
  • 233 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:53 AM

Posted 10 September 2009 - 04:18 AM

http://www.microsoft.com/security/updates/...ins/200909.aspx

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/en/resu...=All+Categories

Edited by CoolCatBad, 10 September 2009 - 04:28 AM.

#3 joseibarra

joseibarra

• Members
  • 1,180 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:53 PM

Posted 10 September 2009 - 05:51 AM

If you think it was a MS update, you can review your history of MS updates and maybe pin it down do a date or group of updates. A single "update" cycle may include several smaller updates.

Using Internet Explorer, click Tools, Windows update and when the MS pages loads click the Review your update history link. I just went back to 2002 - oh my...

You can list them and see the date. Maybe you will recognize the suspicious one. There may be a lot, so if you provide the following information it may not be needed, but you will know where it is.

What is your Windows version and Service Pack?

To find out, click Start, Run and in the box enter:

winver

click OK, and report back the Version, Service Pack and Physical memory.

If you tell us what AV program you have been using and why you think it is not working, maybe somebody has already come across this problem.

Why do you think it is disabled, error messages, etc.

It could just be a coincidence.

Edited by joseibarra, 10 September 2009 - 05:51 AM.

The mediocre teacher tells. The good teacher explains. The superior teacher demonstrates.

#4 Romeo29

Romeo29

Learning To Bleep

• Members
  • 3,194 posts
  •  

Posted 10 September 2009 - 08:06 AM

I think you installed Windows Defender.

Open Start Menu > Run, type the following and press Enter
msiexec /x windowsdefender.msi

Note that there is space between msiexec and /x Also there is space between /x and windowsdefender.msi

#5 bluesjunior

bluesjunior

• Members
  • 761 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:53 PM

Posted 10 September 2009 - 08:45 AM

More likely that it is Windows Malicious Software Removal tool which is installed and updated through Windows Updates. You would actually have to install Windows Defender yourself. I have this installed and it doesn't seem to interfere with anything but just looked and it is not mentioned in the ARP list even with the show updates box ticked. Neither is it shown in the Add/remove windows components box and I can't even see it when I open Revo Uninstaller, so not sure how you get rid of it.
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-MA770T-UD3, CPU: AMD Athlon II X3 450 Processor, Memory: OCZ 4GB (2x2GB) DDR3 1333MHz,Graphics: PowerColor HD 5750 1GB GDDR5,
PSU: Corsair 430W CX PSU 4x SATA 1x PCI-E, Hard Drive:Samsung SpinPoint F3 500GB Hard Drive SATAII 7200rpm 16MB Cache.

#6 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,741 posts
  •  

Posted 10 September 2009 - 09:29 AM

If you have Windows Defender already installed...there may be updates to it via WUS.

If not, then there will not be updates to it appearing at the update site.

If installed, Windows Defender will appear with all other programs installed normally...in Add/Remove Programs.

Louis

#7 georgia

georgia
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 567 posts
  •  

Posted 10 September 2009 - 01:49 PM

I remember the name now....it is the last Malicious Software patch. I never had the patch before. Thank you one and all for helping jog my memory. Now how to rid of this patch?
My app simply has to be started manually now since I did this install which I forgot about.
I would appreciate all comments.
BTW, I hope that this thread did not start as more than 1 as when I clicked on submit, it just sat there and so I clicked again and after a minute it loaded?
This has never happened here before and so I just thought that I would mention it.
BTW, no I don't have windows defender on the notebook.
Thx again and I look forward to comments.
It was the last patch for this Malicious Software. I just did it on the weekend.
The odd thing also is that I checked off for notification of comments to my thread via email and did not receive a mail and checked this up manually. Before I used to get email notifications, however I have not been here for awhile and my address has not changed?
Again I appreciate our experienced members comments.
Ciao.

#8 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,741 posts
  •  

Posted 10 September 2009 - 02:23 PM

It's not a patch.

It's a tool that Microsoft incorporates into XP and updates at periodic times...to help users remove/detect malicious items that may be residing on their systems.

Summary info here, http://www.microsoft.com/security/malwareremove/default.aspx.

Louis

#9 Romeo29

Romeo29

Learning To Bleep

• Members
  • 3,194 posts
  •  

Posted 10 September 2009 - 10:31 PM

Basically there is no uninstall option for Malicious software removal tool. All you have to is delete %windir%\system32\mrt.exe

Open Start Menu > Run, type %windir%\system32 and delete mrt.exe

It also makes a registry entry HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\RemovalTools but you can leave that alone.

#10 georgia

georgia
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 567 posts
  •  

Posted 12 September 2009 - 12:53 AM

Sorry for the late response. I thank you for the instructions. I just want to insure that I won't mess anything up doing this since I am not a tech type. The tool was never installed before until I blundered in my updates. Fumble Fingers !!!! LOL.....not really funny, but it is the worst faux pas that I have done for some time.
I would appreciate comments.
Genuine thank yous. :thumbsup:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users