Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

i want to build a better NAS

• Please log in to reply
No replies to this topic

#1 kb1ibh

kb1ibh

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:31 PM

Posted 10 September 2009 - 02:00 AM

alrighty, im really hoping you guys can help me, because im really in a pickle... right now i've got an old desktop that was sitting in the corner collecting dust set up as a NAS server with 2X 320GB Hdd's, this thing is going to fill up fast, and im looking towards the future and planning my next NAS build...

here is what im looking for:

some form of redundancy, preferably either raid 4, 5, or 6
support for multiple drives, of different size, speed, etc.
possibility for expansion(adding drives, or swapping current drives for larger ones)
Must have CIFS
FTP is a plus, however not a deal-breaker
i really dont care if data is striped or not, its only for backup purposes, and im relatively patient

right now what i've got on my current NES is FreeNAS, and no software raid setup

the only sort of application that i've found which can do what i want is UNRaid, but is VERY pricey for the Server Pro key, and if possible, i'd prefer to boot from a hard drive rather than USB

is there any other NAS solution which will do what i want that's perhaps freeware or open source?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users