Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

windows vista problems

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 trydntstd

trydntstd

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:35 PM

Posted 10 September 2009 - 01:16 AM

I really hope someone can help me with this problem. I am using the windows vista home premium edition that came with my system--32 bit. I recently tried to reboot my system using the discs and have had problems ever since....4 days now....I can not install any updates at all. Not even for my anti-virus. when I first did the reboot, I had to go to the dell site to download all of my drivers again and then i went to k-lite and downloaded the codecs that were needed. Now I don't know what I need to do. I even had someone remotely hook up to my computer and everything says there are no conflicts, but it is running slow and I tried to install the updates and it would download them but nothing else. I keep getting error codes, but when it takes me to the site for microsoft, it doesnt help. what do I need to do?

thanks for taking time to read this. I hope someone knows how to fix this cause it is driving me insane.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Aus Smithy

Aus Smithy

• Members
  • 160 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:35 AM

Posted 17 September 2009 - 02:39 AM

Sorry, you are very short on detail.

Why did you reboot your system?

Are you running as Administrator?

What can you run?

What message do you get when you try to install updates (I'm assuming you mean Windows updates)? What error codes?

What settings do you have set for Windows updating?

Does Windows get the updates or are you downloading manually?

Forget the codecs until you've got your PC's OS to latest update stage.

#3 trydntstd

trydntstd
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:35 PM

Posted 17 September 2009 - 02:50 AM

I rebooted my system because I kept getting a blue screen shut down (almost weekly) someone suggested that I reboot and now I feel stupid about it because I can do everything else, but the windows update will tell me when I have an update, but for some reason it can't install the service pack 1 it has tried on several other times, but I keep getting error codes and when I go to get the information to help, it doesn't help at all. It just says to retry it.

as for the updates, windows gets them for me. It tells me when there is a new one available.

at the moment, everything runs ok, but it's slower than it was before the reboot. and yes, I am running under admin.

thanks for the reply. I appreciate any help you can give me.

#4 Aus Smithy

Aus Smithy

• Members
  • 160 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:35 AM

Posted 22 September 2009 - 02:26 AM

Search for WindowsUpdate.log in C: Windows.
It will give you more detail about why updates are failing - may have something to do with Permissions "Access is denied".

Also check this site out re SP1 failing.

Sorry, left the link out:
http://www.neowin.net/news/main/08/03/20/w...-windows-update

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users