Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

how will I check if ethernet card is defective?

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 ruel.mateo

ruel.mateo

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:47 AM

Posted 10 September 2009 - 12:24 AM

I have 4 PCs here. one of them after couple of days, the ethernet card cannot be ping anymore. only to find out that the ethernet card does not respond. I try to refresh using automatic repair. but still does not repair. I try to disable the card. but trying to enable again, does not respond anymore. So the only solution is to restart the PC. This is always the case. I dont want the PC to keep on restarting the PC just to correct the server problem.

Is this PC has defective NIC card?...

What will I do to detect if the problem is from the card (hardware).

Thanks

Edit: Moved topic from XP to the more appropriate forum. ~ Animal

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,726 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:47 PM

Posted 10 September 2009 - 08:35 AM

The only way that I use to check...insert a PCI NIC.

If the PCI NIC works, but the onboard NIC does not...it's the onboard NIC that has somehow failed.

PCI NICs are very inexpensive and handy, as are PCI USB 2.0 cards.

Louis

#3 Romeo29

Romeo29

Learning To Bleep

• Members
  • 3,194 posts
  •  

Posted 10 September 2009 - 09:10 AM

You can use a loopback plug to test your NIC.
Insert the loopback plug and then do ping 127.0.0.1

#4 ruel.mateo

ruel.mateo
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 13 September 2009 - 04:26 AM

I tried to test loopback test, I made a loopback plug and is working fine right. no problem with it. I will try on some other days if the respond is still the same. Any recommendations for other test to do? thanks

#5 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,726 posts
  •  

Posted 13 September 2009 - 11:33 AM

I would delete the existing connection...and set it up anew (using the Network Connection Wizard) since it seems that the hardware is not the problem.

Some connection files may be damaged/corrupted.

Louis

#6 ruel.mateo

ruel.mateo
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 15 September 2009 - 08:39 AM

Is the shared folders between computers can affect the traffic thats why one of my PCs have experienced that way?... How are the corrupted files related to the response of that NIC card?...

#7 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,726 posts
  •  

Posted 15 September 2009 - 10:09 AM

A corrupted file...is simply another way of saying "a damaged file."

When a file is damaged, it cannot be relied upon to perform as previously anticipated...and the effect on the system may be noticeable, it may not be noticeable.

If I try to run a road race...and I have tendinitis in my Achilles tendon...I won't be able to run very well, if at all, without pain.

So it is with a computer system, which is comprised of thousands of files on which it depends for smooth, effective functioning.

Louis

#8 ruel.mateo

ruel.mateo
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 20 September 2009 - 04:48 AM

Is there an effect if one of the network if it has different version of ethernet drivers or ethernet cards?

#9 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,726 posts
  •  

Posted 20 September 2009 - 08:48 AM

A network...is simply a group of computers which have been enabled to communicate with each other.

Variances can exist in operating system...hardware...software...on individual systems. All that matters is that each system is properly set up to communicate on the created network, whether that be large or small, home or work.

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users