Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Had Advanced Virus Remover...side effects still lingering.

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 chris333

chris333

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:30 PM

Posted 10 September 2009 - 12:19 AM

I used SpyBot to rid my fiancee's laptop of the most annoying affects of the bug:

Constant fake virus alerts from AVR, searches for anti-virus sites from Google being led astray, and no access to Task Manager. That stuff is fixed.

The problems that still remain:

Can't access anti-virus programs. Malwarebytes won't open. Spybot only runs in the tray on the bottom right. I get error messages anytime I try to run Ad-Aware or update SpyBot. Random Internet Explorer windows will pop up from time to time, and Google searches get hijacked and sent to equally random sites that have nothing to do with the linked I clicked. When I start the laptop, sometimes a random radio station that sounds foreign-produced plays from nowhere. No way to turn it off aside from muting all sound.

Can anyone help?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Staff Emeritus
  • 27,809 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:30 PM

Posted 11 September 2009 - 07:33 PM

Can you run a DDS scan as outlined in our HJT prep guide?

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/34773/preparation-guide-for-use-before-using-malware-removal-tools-and-requesting-help/
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users