Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

strange error message

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 jimmythekatz

jimmythekatz

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:47 AM

Posted 09 September 2009 - 11:28 PM

Hi everyone. about a year ago i got alot of viruses, spyware, blah blah, i bought Norton 2008 at the recommendation of a friend, recently upgraded to 360 after the year expired, and then my yahoo messenger started screwing up. Basically when i open a chat window, its huge, the scripting is wrong, i can't webcam with certain contacts...and it gives me a "windows script error--would you like to stop this script" message. Tried removing YM and reinstalling...old versions, new versions, etc. I have Windows XP, and predominately use Firefox vice IE, but every couple of hours a error window will pop up and say C://valued customer/scripterror/dll/18000 or something like that. My pages load extremely slow, and if i leave my comp on overnight, its just unbearably slow, especially typing on something like facebook. I called norton and they had a guy go into my safe mode and fix some stuff, but it keeps happening, i run my live update everyday and do daily scans...what the hell is going on? Any advice would be appreciated.

Jim

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,579 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:47 PM

Posted 10 September 2009 - 12:49 AM

Right click on the C drive in Explorer and go Properties > Tools > Check Now (under Error Checking). Check both boxes then click "Start Now". A message will pop up saying that Error Checking will run after you restart the computer. Restart the computer and Error Checking will run automatically after the restart. After itís finished it will restart into Windows automatically.
The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it.

—George Bernard Shaw

#3 jimmythekatz

jimmythekatz
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 10 September 2009 - 02:37 PM

so far so good, will write again if problem persists, thanks a bunch!

#4 Michael York

Michael York

Authorized Symantec Representative

• Members
  • 118 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:47 AM

Posted 10 September 2009 - 04:48 PM

Hi everyone. about a year ago i got alot of viruses, spyware, blah blah, i bought Norton 2008 at the recommendation of a friend, recently upgraded to 360 after the year expired, and then my yahoo messenger started screwing up. Basically when i open a chat window, its huge, the scripting is wrong, i can't webcam with certain contacts...and it gives me a "windows script error--would you like to stop this script" message. Tried removing YM and reinstalling...old versions, new versions, etc. I have Windows XP, and predominately use Firefox vice IE, but every couple of hours a error window will pop up and say C://valued customer/scripterror/dll/18000 or something like that. My pages load extremely slow, and if i leave my comp on overnight, its just unbearably slow, especially typing on something like facebook. I called norton and they had a guy go into my safe mode and fix some stuff, but it keeps happening, i run my live update everyday and do daily scans...what the hell is going on? Any advice would be appreciated.

Jim

Hi Jim,

This is Mike from the Norton Authorized Support Team responding.

The problem you are describing can be caused by an infection that has compromised a Windows component.

Please let me know what version of Norton 360 you currently have installed. You should be using Norton 360 version 3. If you are using version 1 or version 2 and your subscription is valid, you are entitled to a free update to version 3, which is highly recommended. If you do need to update, please visit the Norton Update Center at the link below. Please NOTE, while this process will update Norton 360 to the latest version, it will not extend your subscription.

Norton Update Center

If you currently have version 3 installed, LiveUpdate and Pulse Updates will occur automatically in the background. However, you can still manually run LiveUpdate to be sure you have the latest version installed which is "3.5.2.11". You can check this by opening Norton 360, select "Help & Support" and then "About". After you have the latest version installed, restart your computer into Windows Safe Mode and then launch Norton 360 and a "Comprehensive Scan" will occur. Let me know if any infections were found and if Norton 360 was able to clean or quarantine the infected files.

Thank you,
Mike
Michael York
Norton Authorized Support Team
Symantec Corporation
http://service.symantec.com/priority

#5 jimmythekatz

jimmythekatz
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 11 September 2009 - 04:56 PM

Mike, the whole problem started after i updated from Norton 2008 to 360...had to have a live assist guy take control of my comp and do .dll stuff, that worked for a day or so then when restarted i got more of those errors. The fix the other guy gave me worked for a day and now its doing it again i restarted and opened firefox and it opened 5 of them. I run live update daily, religiously, but this keeps happening and I've done comprehensive and quick scans all the time. What is going on? I really do not want to pay another 100 bucks to symantec to fix this thing when it all happened because i downloaded the upgrade. The guy i talked to who did the remote thing even said so, that it wasn't a virus it was something else.

Here is my info
Version: 3.5.2.11Serial Number: GWH9MWMVBBJQMedia SKU: 20004532Current SKU: 20004532Family SKU: 20004447End Point ID: {5591e13e-dc70-41c9-a9fe-13354e1b09d0}

#6 Michael York

Michael York

• Members
  • 118 posts
  •  

Posted 14 September 2009 - 12:32 PM

Mike, the whole problem started after i updated from Norton 2008 to 360...had to have a live assist guy take control of my comp and do .dll stuff, that worked for a day or so then when restarted i got more of those errors. The fix the other guy gave me worked for a day and now its doing it again i restarted and opened firefox and it opened 5 of them. I run live update daily, religiously, but this keeps happening and I've done comprehensive and quick scans all the time. What is going on? I really do not want to pay another 100 bucks to symantec to fix this thing when it all happened because i downloaded the upgrade. The guy i talked to who did the remote thing even said so, that it wasn't a virus it was something else.

Here is my info
Version: 3.5.2.11Serial Number: GWH9MWMVBBJQMedia SKU: 20004532Current SKU: 20004532Family SKU: 20004447End Point ID: {5591e13e-dc70-41c9-a9fe-13354e1b09d0}

Hi Jim,

I apologize that you are experiencing these issues with Norton 360 and I would like to assist you in resolving them. The first thing I would like you to do is to make sure there are no other third-party, real-time security applications installed , which may be causing conflicts with Norton 360. Please check your Add/Remove Control Panel (XP) or Programs and Features (Vista) and remove any other real-time scanners. Also, please run Windows Update and make sure that you have the latest patches from Microsoft applied to Windows.

The issue you are having can be related to a problem with your installation of Norton 360 , since you had updated from a different product. Please carefully follow the steps below.

1. Click on the following link to download the Norton Removal Tool:

Norton Removal Tool and Instructions

2. After you run the tool, please restart your computer. Then log in to Windows again and run the removal tool again. Restart your computer after it is finished running the second time as well.

3. Click on the link below and then choose the "Download" button under "Norton 360" to download the latest installer.

Download the latest installer for Norton 360

4. When the installation is complete, launch Norton 360 version 3, mouse-over the "PC Security" bubble and choose "Check for Updates." When the updates have been installed, restart your computer.

5. Launch Norton 360 and check the version number by clicking on the "Help & Support" link at the top of the window and then choose "About." After you perform the updates, the version should be "3.5.2.11". If your version is different, please manually check for updates again and restart when the updates are installed.

Please try this process and let me know if you are still having the same problems.

Thank you,
Mike
Michael York
Symantec Corporation

#7 jimmythekatz

jimmythekatz
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 30 September 2009 - 08:18 PM

Just did all that, seemed to make the comp a bit faster, still waiting to see what happens next, thanks mike

#8 Michael York

Michael York

• Members
  • 118 posts
  •  

Posted 01 October 2009 - 11:53 AM

<br />Just did all that, seemed to make the comp a bit faster, still waiting to see what happens next, thanks mike<br />

<br /><br /><br />

Hi jimmythekatz,

Thanks for the update and I'm happy to hear that your computer is running faster. Although both the LiveUpdate and the new Pulse Updates features are automatic, make sure you manually check for updates again, possibly multiple times, until it informs you that there are no more updates available.

Another feature in Norton 360 version 3 called "Insight" can significantly reduce scanning time. To run this feature, launch Nortron 360, mouse-over the "PC Security" bubble and choose "Run Norton insight".

Thanks,
Mike
Michael York
Symantec Corporation

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users