Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Advanced Virus Remover

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 JMillers

JMillers

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:14 AM

Posted 09 September 2009 - 09:17 PM

Our computer has one of the viruses that repeatedly pops up a window called Advanced Virus Remover (not sure exactly which virus that is). The computer shuts down - we are able to get to the logon window and type the password, it says "loading your personal settings...", but then shuts down again. Currently, I am using a different computer.

It will not let me go in on safe mode. When booting back up, it says:
A: Drive Error
Press <F1> for Setup
<F2> to continue.

If I press F2, then repeatedly press F8, it gives me the option for safe mode and some other options which I'm not familiar with. However, safe mode only causes it to go back to the logon window with the password which shuts it back down again after we enter the password.

Obviously, I do not know how to get it to the point to get on the internet to download any helpful programs and I'm not familiar with any of the DOS commands that might help so am pretty handicapped.

Any suggestions on where I can start?

Edit: Moved topic from XP to the more appropriate forum. ~ Animal

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,579 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:14 PM

Posted 09 September 2009 - 10:58 PM

Insert the Windows XP CD into the CD drive, and then restart the computer. Click to select any options that are required to start the computer from the CD drive if you are prompted. When the "Welcome to Setup" screen appears, press R to start the Recovery Console. If you have a dual-boot or multiple-boot computer, select the installation that you must access from the Recovery Console. When you are prompted, type the Administrator password. If the administrator password is blank, just press ENTER.

Type: chkdsk /r

It's important to have a space before the "/".

To exit the Recovery Console and restart the computer, type exit at the command prompt, and then press ENTER.
The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it.

—George Bernard Shaw

#3 JMillers

JMillers
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 10 September 2009 - 07:21 PM

The recovery disks that I finally found that I thought go with this evidently don't. I think it's going to win this time. The computer is about 5 yrs old, is a hewlett packard. About three years ago, the hard drive went out, we had extended warranty and a technician put in a new hard drive. Before that, I had to go to some trouble just to get recovery disks from hp so that's probably the problem.

So I don't want to go further with this.

We had a popular antivirus software on that computer, I hate to name it on a public forum. Could you suggest what you think would be the best antivirus, anti-trojan software or what I need to void this happening again.

Thank you for all your help!

#4 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,579 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:14 PM

Posted 10 September 2009 - 07:40 PM

You can create your own Recovery Console disk with this file:

http://www.thecomputerparamedic.com/files/rc.iso

You must burn this file to a CD as an ISO. Post back if you need more information on how to do this.

As for the best anti-virus - that's a very subjective thing. Personally, I believe that the freeware solutions available are more than adequate. It's important to remember that no anti-virus is 100% foolproof. It depends a lot on how you use your computer.
The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it.

—George Bernard Shaw

#5 JMillers

JMillers
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 10 September 2009 - 08:08 PM

I'm thinking the newer computer I'm on now did not come with disks either. I must be losing it, I need to figure that out right away! So I may need that link for this computer. I'm not sure how to even begin to get anything out of our old computer. My free time is limited and messing with a fried computer is extremely frustrating (and I imagine I'm not alone in that) since I don't really know what I'm doing.

I just happened on this website for the first time yesterday. This evening (after working all day) I'm looking around on here and really getting a chance to see just how much info there is. I see there's a thread on Simple Steps to keep Your Computer Secure" which I am going to read - it looks like there's suggestions for anti-virus products there. I did not know this website existed and it looks like there's a LOT of great information on here, it may take some days to read through some of it.

Thank you - your help is very appreciated!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users