Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

XP Home won't open logon screen

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 KraZy650

KraZy650

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:18 PM

Posted 09 September 2009 - 08:51 PM

Ok what happened was I had a go-round with windows Police Pro and was able to get it to stop and allow me to run McAfee Virusscan Plus 2009 to remove infected files after doing this when I would attempt to logon to XP after entering password and clicking enter, XP would log me on but immediately log me back off to the logon screen. I then tried using XP install disk to repair OS already on the system but now after doing this when I start the computer it goes through the bootup program but then just stops at a black screen and will not go to the logon screen. This happens no matter what mode I try to boot to. :trumpet: :flowers: :thumbsup:
"Eevrything Will Work, If You Let It!"

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,579 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:18 AM

Posted 09 September 2009 - 10:57 PM

Insert the Windows XP CD into the CD drive, and then restart the computer. Click to select any options that are required to start the computer from the CD drive if you are prompted. When the "Welcome to Setup" screen appears, press R to start the Recovery Console. If you have a dual-boot or multiple-boot computer, select the installation that you must access from the Recovery Console. When you are prompted, type the Administrator password. If the administrator password is blank, just press ENTER.

Type: chkdsk /r

It's important to have a space before the "/".

To exit the Recovery Console and restart the computer, type exit at the command prompt, and then press ENTER.
The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it.

—George Bernard Shaw

#3 circaal

circaal

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  

Posted 10 September 2009 - 10:57 AM

The userinit.exe file is corrupted but I don't think I'm allowed to walk you through on how to do it. I have done it mutiple times but last time I tried to help someone with removing a virus they removed my post and told me to join there virus removal training programs for beginners and of course its closed or full. But maybe I can walk you through it over a PM.
-BTY

#4 KraZy650

KraZy650
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 10 September 2009 - 04:04 PM

Ok I ran the chkdsk /r through recovery and it found and fixed damage on the drive, it took almost 4 hours, it's a 500gig WD SATA drive but XP still just stops before going to the logon screen. I do have a second drive (6 gig WD IDE) in this computer with a validated copy of XP that by changing the Bios settings will bootup so I can acces the big drive to remove data. I'm in fact running from this drive right now to access this forum. Problem is I have 111 gig of movies and who knows how many saved emails on that drive and nowhere big enough on my other networked computers to put them. I can access the movies but it seems that my Seamonkey email client will only open as a newly installed program so I will have to get this drive going again to get to them.

I used search to locate userinit.exe and found it listed 5 times on the current drive I'm running on but only once on the big drive. 4 out of the 5 times on current drive list it as an application file the fifth time it is a prefetch file, the one time listing on the big drive has it as a application file.

Any more ideas on what to do or do you need any more info on dirves or computer?

#5 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,579 posts
  •  

Posted 10 September 2009 - 04:53 PM

Try copying c:\windows\system32\userinit.exe from your second drive to the big drive. Then see if it will boot from the big drive.
The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it.

—George Bernard Shaw

#6 KraZy650

KraZy650
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 11 September 2009 - 12:18 AM

Ok this is getting me PI$$ED :inlove: now!!! I copied over userinit.exe after I renamed the original to old-userinit.exe and as soon as I did McAfee quarintined 3 files. I tried booting to the big drive and nothing, still no logon screen. So I booted back to the small drive and did a full scan with McAfee and it found 6 more trogens for a total of 9, 3 of those were in a directory for IE-5 and the rest were scattered into several other directories but all were on the big drive, 4--Artemis, 3--Generic, 1--PWS-Mmorpq!fy and 1--Refpron.gen.g.

Is there any freeware scanners made specifically for Police Pro that I can get to rid me of this sucker? I did a internet search for one but mostly found scanning programs that would let you know it's there but not remove it without buying the software. I'm presently unemployed so money is tight. I'm also sort of afraid to try to boot back to the big drive until I'm sure it's clean. :flowers:

I think I remember one of the files that McAfee declared infected before being named something like logon.exe and it got removed when I did the scan a couple of days ago. Could that have been Police Pro just making it look infected to McAfee so I would remove a needed file and be causing some of my problem? :trumpet:

One thing I'm going to do is keep this small drive complete with McAfee updated and in this computer but have the cable unplugged from it to keep it from getting infected and also do virus scans from it every now and then. :thumbsup:

#7 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,579 posts
  •  

Posted 13 September 2009 - 04:35 PM

Try copying another USERINIT.EXE file into the system32 folder, but rename it WSAUPDATER.EXE. Then try to boot from the drive.

—George Bernard Shaw

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users