Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Avast Behavior

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Junior2007

Junior2007

• Members
  • 120 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:32 PM

Posted 09 September 2009 - 07:33 PM

Running Vista Home Premium, and a longtime Avast user. The other day I updated to the latest version of Avast, installation went fine, no issues, but here's what I'm seeing, and pardon my lack of computer lingo if my explanation isn't perfect. Whenever I go to my home page, down the bottom of my screen there's a scrolling of sorts, and it says Avast On Access Scanner Message. While the page loads this "scrolling" increases until the page finishes. It appears that it's checking the content of the page because it does disappear. If I go to a website it does the same thing. Click on any part of a webpage? Same thing. I have never encountered this with previous Avast versions, so I don't know if this is a new feature?

I'm sure it's a safety thing but it's pretty annoying. I've gone into the program and tried to find why it's doing this and the best that I can come up with it this;

Click on the blue Avast Icon in system tray.

In the list of web shield installed providers I disable, or terminate, the web shield option. This seems to stop the onscreen scrolling. Is this safe to do? I'm not 100% sure if it's best to do, but it solves my problem. Any thoughts/opinions by those more knowledgeable than me are welcome.

Thanks.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 FlannelBack

FlannelBack

• Members
  • 327 posts
  •  

Posted 09 September 2009 - 07:51 PM

Hi Junior2007

I don't think it's safe to terminate that web shield. Start it back up, then click on the customize button > advanced button and uncheck the two entries in that window. That should fix your problem.

#3 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 73,221 posts
  •  

Posted 09 September 2009 - 08:37 PM

Starting from the version 4.6. avast! comes with a new on-access scanning provider - Web Shield. It is able to monitor and filter all HTTP traffic coming from the Web sites on the Internet. Itís implemented as a HTTP proxy running on your PC. Connections from your Web browser are redirected to the Web Shield module. Web Shield in turn connects to the requested web server and while downloading the content it scans it for viruses and Trojans. Only the clean data is delivered to the browser, every malware is stopped before it gets saved on your PC.

See Web Shield Issues
How do I get help? Who is helping me?For the time will come when men will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear....Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#4 Junior2007

Junior2007
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 120 posts
  •  

Posted 09 September 2009 - 09:02 PM

Hi Junior2007

I don't think it's safe to terminate that web shield. Start it back up, then click on the customize button > advanced button and uncheck the two entries in that window. That should fix your problem.

That seems to work, thank you very much. Not seeing the scrolling anymore, but it's still performing what it's suppose to do, correct?

Starting from the version 4.6. avast! comes with a new on-access scanning provider - Web Shield. It is able to monitor and filter all HTTP traffic coming from the Web sites on the Internet. Itís implemented as a HTTP proxy running on your PC. Connections from your Web browser are redirected to the Web Shield module. Web Shield in turn connects to the requested web server and while downloading the content it scans it for viruses and Trojans. Only the clean data is delivered to the browser, every malware is stopped before it gets saved on your PC.

See Web Shield Issues

Thank you as well for the link, I will read up on it.

#5 Bambo

Bambo

• Members
  • 133 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:32 PM

Posted 09 September 2009 - 09:23 PM

You can check with EICAR http://eicar.org/anti_virus_test_file.htm should be able to tell which shield kicks in.

#6 Junior2007

Junior2007
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 120 posts
  •  

Posted 09 September 2009 - 09:36 PM

The link was great. Set Firefox for the proxy setting as described.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users