Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Computer assembly and setup

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Dennis the Menace

Dennis the Menace

• Members
  • 77 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:03 PM

Posted 09 September 2009 - 06:12 PM

My daughter just received a present from her fiancee and asked for advice. I am hoping that some of you BC folks could provide some guidance.

The computer received is a asus MOBO with Core 2 Duo, 250W PS, 2GB RAM, case, WD 250GB HDD, Seagate Baracuda IDE HDD, Hitachi DVD r/w. Monitor is Samsung HD-TV/Monitor - 23 inch. Keyboard and mouse are RocketFish wireless (?). This was all purchased piecemeal from newegg, frys, cdw, Sam's club over about a six month period. It was to be a surprise but the surprise is that he purchased items from a list his friends gave him which were refurbished or cosmetically damaged. I believe everything works or is at least under warranty.

What we would like to know is which HDD to set up first with recommended O/S. Being a teacher she has a copy of Windows XP-PRO Educational but would like to learn to use UNIX (i.e. Linux). Possibly download from BC.

Can anyone recommend the first steps toward getting this up and running. Which disk should be primary and possibly some partitioning recommendations.

With this hodgepodge of equipment I felt it prudent to ask for advise/assistance rather than just jump in. The SATA and IDE issue has us both a bit confused. Her fiancee is of almost no help as he knows very little about computers. At 40 you would think that some wisdom would surface.

My thanks to any and all who can provide some semblance of sanity to this and help get a system up and running.

Thanks again for ANY pointers.

regards

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,721 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:03 PM

Posted 09 September 2009 - 07:22 PM

<<At 40 you would think that some wisdom would surface.>>

LOL...that's the best line I've ever seen posted :thumbsup:.

Wisdom has little to do with computing and (IMO) younger persons who grow up with PCs...stand a much better chance of learning, adapting, etc. than older persons like myself (too many of whom are intimidated by the fact that technology has moved onward). I know that there are teenagers who post here who know a lot more about various facets of computers than I do (or will) :flowers:.

SATA drives are faster than their IDE counterparts, having been developed more recently. Both will work in a system, as long as the motherboard has connections for each (I have both types of drives in this system).

Everything else is...user preference, regarding drives. I prefer to use the smaller/smallest drive for my O/S installs and programs, while some seem to think it best to use the fastest drives.

I could be more definitive...if I knew the model number for that motherboard. Many of us have Asus boards, they have many models and the specifications/capabilities for each may be different from all others.

Louis

#3 Dennis the Menace

Dennis the Menace
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 77 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:03 PM

Posted 15 September 2009 - 07:14 AM

Sorry to take long to respond again. They ook parts to Odesy computer for assembly (sigh!) no wisdom. Please close this as it has been solved by $$$ instead of good advice. Thanks for any assistance.

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,721 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:03 PM

Posted 15 September 2009 - 10:03 AM

No problem, sorry we could not save the $$...but maybe something has been learned. Happy computing :thumbsup:.

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users