Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Need help with best fan setup

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 shanelee

shanelee

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:51 AM

Posted 09 September 2009 - 05:07 PM

Hello, I just purchased an aspire x-cruiser gaming case to put my new computer build inside of. Now this is my first build and I just need to make sure that no parts overheat. Now the case has room for two 80mm fans in front, one 80mm on top, and room for a 80 or 120mm on back. Also there is room for a 80mm on side of case but it has like a funnel type thing on the side i think its to allow the air from cpu to go out. Now I know you want intake and exhaust to be close so I was think about 2 80mm in front for intake, and 1 80 or 120 on back for exhause and 1 80mm on top for exhaust. And why I have you here I have one more question.

This is some parts from my first build
GPU: XFX HD-487A-ZHFC Radeon HD 4870 1GB 256-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.0 x16
PROCESSOR: Intel Core 2 Quad Q9550 Yorkfield 2.83GHz LGA 775 95W Quad-Core Processor
RAM: G.SKILL 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 1066 (PC2 8500) Dual Channel
MOBO: GIGABYTE GA-EP45-UD3P LGA 775 Intel P45 ATX Intel
with a seagate 500gb hard drive

The question is should I over clock my cpu if I game. If so what should i put it at if running on air cooled.

Thank you in advance for taking the time to read and answer my post.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 pclimer

pclimer

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 11 September 2009 - 04:00 PM

It depends on your room's average temp, and the type/speeds of the fans your willing to put in your case.

Also having a good CPU cooler is a must if you want to overclock.

It's still risky overclocking using just air.

Your best bet is a light overclock, nothing serious unless you want a thousand something dollar door stop.

#3 Moby Purple

Moby Purple

• Members
  • 97 posts
  •  

Posted 11 September 2009 - 05:57 PM

Why not just try the games as is, you may not even need to overclock. You have a fairly powerful computer.

As far as the fans, you can't have too many. The setup you suggested sounds good to start with, put them in, play the games, and keep a check on the CPU temp.

#4 ThunderZ

ThunderZ

• Deactivated
  • 4,454 posts
  •  

Posted 11 September 2009 - 06:18 PM

One final thing. The funnel on the side is to draw cooler outside air into the case not to allow it out. Make sure the processor fan is blowing down onto the heat sink.

The graphics card will have far more effect on gaming then the processor. Seem`s you have pick`d a pretty good one.

Edited by ThunderZ, 11 September 2009 - 06:20 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users