Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

XP Pro installation freezes

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 slycer

slycer

• Members
  • 112 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:53 PM

Posted 09 September 2009 - 01:52 PM

Without going into too much of a back story, my XP installation became corrupted. I tried to fix it using CHKDSK, and SFC, but these did not solve the issue. I decided to do a repair install of my OS, but was told that this wouldn't work because the version I already had was newer than that I was trying to install. (I have SP3 installed, my disk was for SP2) So, I did a slipstreamed XP setup disk with SP3, and thought I had everything figured out. The upgrade option for installation was now available, and all was working smoothly. That is, until XP had about 2/3 of the devices loaded, (approximately 34 minutes remaining on the timer). The screen blacked out for a moment, came back with a differenet resolution, my USB keyboard and mouse stopped working, and then the computer said it needed "Intelcci.dll" and wanted me to point out where it was located so it could be loaded. Problem with this is my mouse and keyboard aren't working, so how can I do this? I have never had any problems installing or configuring Windows before, so this is a new one on me. Could this be a problem with my slipstream CD, or is this something else? Any help would be most appreciated. Thanks.

Quick Edit: As stated, both the mouse and keyboard are USB. My computer does not have PS/2 ports.

Edited by slycer, 09 September 2009 - 01:54 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,579 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:53 AM

Posted 09 September 2009 - 04:27 PM

It might be a problem with your disk. I would try running the repair install again from the beginning.

Setup hanging at 34minutes remaining is often caused by faulty hardware.

http://techtracer.com/2007/03/12/xp-instal...-minute-hiccup/
The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it.

—George Bernard Shaw

#3 slycer

slycer
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 112 posts
  •  

Posted 09 September 2009 - 04:48 PM

Thank you for the reply. I will try that as soon as I get home tonight, and I will let you know what my results are.

#4 slycer

slycer
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 112 posts
  •  

Posted 09 September 2009 - 05:18 PM

It might be a problem with your disk. I would try running the repair install again from the beginning.

http://techtracer.com/2007/03/12/xp-instal...-minute-hiccup/

How do I do this? Every time I restart, it takes me right back to where I was.

#5 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,579 posts
  •  

Posted 09 September 2009 - 05:27 PM

Are you booting from the CD?
The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it.

—George Bernard Shaw

#6 slycer

slycer
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 112 posts
  •  

Posted 10 September 2009 - 08:14 AM

To make a long story short, I sort-of managed to fix my installation last night. I followed the link you gave me, did everything as it said, and got through the installation issue with little hassle.
Now, everything is installed, and all is great, with one exception. When I log onto my Welcome Page, it says, "This copy of Windows must be activated before you can log on. Do you want to log on now?" This is fine, because this copy of Windows is mine, bought and paid for. When I click "yes", the computer goes to the background of my desktop, but doesn't do anything else. No taskbar, no icons, nothing but my cursor. It just hangs there. I tried Ctrl-Alt-Del, but nothing. I know we've got an internet connection, because my wife's laptop is running off our wireless network which is controlled by my desktop, and she's got internet! I'm not sure what the problem is. Also, is it okay to merge this problem into this thread, or should I create a new thread? If I'm getting free help for my computer issues, I don't want to rock the boat!

#7 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,579 posts
  •  

Posted 10 September 2009 - 04:30 PM

Insert the Windows XP CD into the CD drive, and then restart the computer. Click to select any options that are required to start the computer from the CD drive if you are prompted. When the "Welcome to Setup" screen appears, press R to start the Recovery Console. If you have a dual-boot or multiple-boot computer, select the installation that you must access from the Recovery Console. When you are prompted, type the Administrator password. If the administrator password is blank, just press ENTER.

Type: chkdsk /r

It's important to have a space before the "/".

To exit the Recovery Console and restart the computer, type exit at the command prompt, and then press ENTER.

—George Bernard Shaw

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users