Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Remove Ubuntu and install XP

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 OmegaWolf747

OmegaWolf747

• Members
  • 74 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:43 AM

Posted 09 September 2009 - 01:42 PM

I have a laptop that right now has Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope installed on its primary HDD. I want to give it to a friend, but she wants Windows because she's tech challenged.

So bottom line is, how do I remove Ubuntu, completely partition and reformat the hard drive so the XP CD will recognize it?

I have the Ubuntu boot CD and a full version of Windows XP Pro SP1 to work with.

The laptop is a Toshiba Satellite X205-S7483, Intel Centrino Core2 Duo @ 1.7 GHz with 2 GB RAM and x2 120 GB HDDs.

The primary drive boots Ubuntu from Grub right now if that matters.

Thank you!!!!

What is this Internet you speak of?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 buddy215

buddy215

• 13,121 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:43 AM

Posted 09 September 2009 - 02:03 PM

You should not have any problems with simply using the CD to install XP. One thing Windows wants to do
is install itself on the entire HDD. Just follow the prompts to reformat, install.

If you would like a more secure wipe of the entire HDD before installing, you could use a program such as the one in the link below.
http://www.dban.org/
“Every atom in your body came from a star that exploded and the atoms in your left hand probably came from a different star than your right hand. It really is the most poetic thing I know about physics...you are all stardust.”Lawrence M. Krauss
A 1792 U.S. penny, designed in part by Thomas Jefferson and George Washington, reads “Liberty Parent of Science & Industry.”

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users